FreeBSD 10 To Use Clang Compiler, Deprecate GCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    If it spreads it's only because people choose to licence their code under it and other people wants to use that code.
    It is like adware that come with some freeware programs. People want to use code, not license.
    Last edited by LightBit; 17 May 2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      Well it was a while back so my memory could be failing me, but I read that NeXT OpenStep contained a Mach kernel based off an early version which was not in practice a micro-kernel (iirc Mach development was long and problematic and relied on a monolithic design for much of it's functionality during most of it's development cycle) together with parts from FreeBSD and NetBSD from which then emerged OSX.

The story I read was an article series which was a rebuttal of people assuming that OSX was slow due to having a micro-kernel, which the author (while also providing technical insight which seemed to back him up) claimed it did not. I'll see if I can find it again, it was quite some time ago I read it.

edit: I think I found the article series about Next/Mach: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/0506.mk1.html
      Here's hoping I remembered it correctly, else I feel confident Awesomness will be there to 'correct' me
      very nice reading thanks, i had the doubt if the mach core was used as kernel or micro kernel

Comment

So there will be even more hassle with software compilation and problems... good luck to FBSD guys. Shooting self into the leg just to prove they're proprietary corporations footpads is a very incredible way to die, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
          So there will be even more hassle with software compilation and problems... good luck to FBSD guys. Shooting self into the leg just to prove they're proprietary corporations footpads is a very incredible way to die, sure.
          Keep in mind that this is just the system compiler; it's not like new versions of gcc will stop running on FreeBSD.

They did also change the default ports compiler to clang (which makes sense, since it's the one compiler that'll typically be installed on a fresh FreeBSD 10 system), but only after trialing it for a while. It has caused remarkably few issues, though that might be because all the possibly problematic ports have been made to depend on and use gcc. Effectively, everything still works fine.

Comment

Working...
          X