Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD 5.1 Released

Phoronix: OpenBSD 5.1 Released

Six months after OpenBSD 5.0 was released, OpenBSD 5.1 is now available with a modest number of changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Different priorities

Originally posted by asdx
    While in Linux we have:

• GNOME 3.4
    • KDE 4.8.3
    • Xfce 4.10
    • Mozilla Firefox 12
    • LibreOffice 3.5
    • Mono 2.10.8 (I'd rather not have this POS)
    • Chromium 18

So in Linux we have the latest and greatest of everything, BSD as always is 10 years behind in everything they produce.
    Don't compare OpenBSD to your average bleeding edge linux distribution, they have totally different target groups.
    OpenBSD is probably the best at what they do - Security.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
      Don't compare OpenBSD to your average bleeding edge linux distribution, they have totally different target groups.

NetBSD don t like users.They like to port everything to a toaster
      Only FBI users like OpenBSD
      DragonFly is good only for clustering.

FreeBSD is the only system for casual users. And still they don't have a good rendering infrastructure.

There are only one good BSD distribution .It's PCBSD.I think they need to port all infrasctructure (package management) to Linux .

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
        NetBSD don t like users.They like to port everything to a toaster
        Only FBI users like OpenBSD
        DragonFly is good only for clustering.

FreeBSD is the only system for casual users. And still they don't have a good rendering infrastructure.

There are only one good BSD distribution .It's PCBSD.I think they need to port all infrasctructure (package management) to Linux .
        Well... don't know why you quoted me as your response had nothing to do with what I said.
        I kind of agree, but if OpenBSD is good enough for "FBI users" they are probably on target.

Comment

Isn't UMS considered a security issue?

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            So they get paranoid about "security" at the cost of being 20 years behind in everything? Yay!
            Ok, so now they are 20 years behind and not 10 as you said in the previous post... 20 years.. hum lets see... No they are not 20 years behind when I look at the package list (not 10 either), not even close.
            But that is really besides the point, they are not paranoid about security - it is what they do. It is not an operating system for the average person who want a cool desktop to install.
            It has a specific puropse and it does that very well.

Comment

wideopenbsd.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, wideopenbsd.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                Yupp, all very disturbing, that was a pretty short list spanning years 02-09 though.
                Just imagine all the the crap that exists in yours (and mine) linux system.

Comment

Yupp, all very disturbing, that was a pretty short list spanning years 02-09 though.
                  Just imagine all the the crap that exists in yours (and mine) linux system.
                  At least Linux developers admit a security-related bug is a security problem and fix it, and assign it a CVE number. None of this OpenBDSM "Reliability patch" nonsense.

Comment

I like that my BSDs let me do system upgrades without really worrying about all my shit not working anymore. Linux is total shit for this, BSD I might not have many choices for wifi, but when I update I can expect them to work. Linux every few kernel updates my wifi might fail to work correctly.

BSD sucks for being behind? I had better working wifi on windows 2000, then modern linux. I also had a better graphics stack in windows 98 then your living in the past shitty linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X