OpenBSD 5.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
    I'm not sure for BSD, but Solaris doesn't overcommit memory. Reliable OS should never overcommit memory.
    Citation needed. I suppose there are reasons why people choose Linux instead of Solaris when comes to running critical workloads. It seems nearly everyone knows Linux is more reliable. Btw. Linux is not Solaris, so you can choose preferred behavior:

echo [n] /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Citation needed. I suppose there are reasons why people choose Linux instead of Solaris when comes to running critical workloads. It seems nearly everyone knows Linux is more reliable. Btw. Linux is not Solaris, so you can choose preferred behavior:

echo [n] /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
      Citation: http://developers.sun.com/solaris/ar...ubprocess.html
      Maybe they choose it because most distributions are free. And it is popular.
      Overcommiting on Linux can't be fully disabled. It is also hard to find all hacks and disable them.

Linus: ""regression testing"? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up it is perfect." (http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...04.1/0149.html)

Comment

Why are you calling OOM killer and similar hacks? They're not hacks, but normal features.
        Killing random processes instead of the singular process eating all of your RAM is a hack, and a bad one.

BSD's aren't more stable and they're not used in serious computing unlike Linux.
        DNS servers not serious enough for you?

Comment

Citation: http://developers.sun.com/solaris/ar...ubprocess.html
          Maybe they choose it because most distributions are free. And it is popular.
          Is this citation about Solaris hack that causes something like this:

I've got a problem on my Solaris servers. When I launch a Sun Java process with restricted memory it takes more than twice the ressources. For example, I have 64 Go of memory on my servers. 1 is on

It also seems Solaris kills processes even without OOM:

That's a HACK.

Linux, IBM AIX, and HP-UX are using memory overcommiting, so it's Solaris staying behind as usual. What's more interesting memory overcommiting is tunable in Linux. Yeah, enterprise, HPC and stock exchanges chose Linux, because Linux distributions are free and more popular. Stop kidding me:

As a result of mergers and acquisitions, the New York Stock Exchange has migrated over the last few years from HP-UX to IBM AIX to Sun Solaris to Linux.

Overcommiting on Linux can't be fully disabled. It is also hard to find all hacks and disable them.

Linus: ""regression testing"? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up it is perfect." (http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...04.1/0149.html)
          Why do you think overcommiting can't be fully disabled? Any back up? Only trolls call features hacks and you are spreading FUD. As we can see professionals are betting on Linux and this shows it's more reliable. Linus makes kernel not distributions and there are other people who make testing. Ubuntu for example has QA and test farms, RHEL does a lot of testing, too. You're still comparing apples to oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            Killing random processes instead of the singular process eating all of your RAM is a hack, and a bad one.
            It's not a random process, but the process with lowest priority. It's Linux and this is also tunable. Calling good feature a hack that's also present in other professional systems is stupid.

DNS servers not serious enough for you?
            Most of the DNS servers are running on Linux.

Comment

The same happens with newer BSD releases - new regressions are introduced, so we can call it a Regression BSD OS, don't you think? Linux hardware support is superior compared to BSD, Solaris, OS X and Windows (when we exclude third party drivers).

I'd like to know what wifi cards you have, I have 6 wifi cards and none of them work correctly in linux. 1 actually works but the wifi range is about 60% lower then it is in windows. 2 of them used to work, until a regression hit the drivers and they have not been update in a longtime. Also saying Linux has superior hardware support to windows is a joke. Out of the box without internet it might, but overall it does not. excluding third party support make no sense.

As for the great article showing linux graphics stack beating out windows, I enjoy seeing all the games tested are old OpenGL titles, No on cares to play those games anymore
              and windows 7 has terrible support for openGL. Since DX is superior in every way, john carmack agrees.

Comment

Most of the DNS servers are running on Linux.
                Citation Needed?

Comment

Is this citation about Solaris hack that causes something like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ice-rss-memory
                  Not stability problem. Java sucks anyway.

Nobody knows what that perl script was.

Linux, IBM AIX, and HP-UX are using memory overcommiting, so it's Solaris staying behind as usual. What's more interesting memory overcommiting is tunable in Linux. Yeah, enterprise, HPC and stock exchanges chose Linux, because Linux distributions are free and more popular. Stop kidding me:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ture/207800195
                  Solaris was one of the most advanced unix ever.
                  Well maybe they use it, because of better performance.

Why do you think overcommiting can't be fully disabled? Any back up? Only trolls call features hacks and you are spreading FUD.
                  http://developers.sun.com/solaris/ar...ubprocess.html again
                  "it's not a bug, it's a feature"

Linus makes kernel not distributions and there are other people who make testing. Ubuntu for example has QA and test farms, RHEL does a lot of testing, too. You're still comparing apples to oranges.
                  Linus makes nothing, but he is religious leader. Distributions follow him.

Read "Right vs Wrong": http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/08
                  Last edited by LightBit; 03 May 2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Not stability problem. Java sucks anyway.
                    Not stability problems in your posts about Linux as well.

Nobody knows what that perl script was.
                    How this shows OOM is bad while hack in Solaris is good?

Solaris was one of the most advanced unix ever.
                    Well maybe they use it, because of better performance.
                    Solaris was one of the most bloated Unix ever. It failed, because Sun started to base on marketing and "features" rather than user needs.

again
                    "it's not a bug, it's a feature"
                    You didn't answer me.

Linus makes nothing, but he is religious leader. Distributions follow him.
                    I don't care about your personal liking. I explained you some process.

Wrong vs Right ; BSD vs Linux ; killed vs living and growing rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
                      Citation Needed?

Comment

Working...
                      X