OpenBSD 5.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Why some fanboys compare Linux kernel to BSD distribution? Just because there's no bsd.kernel.org? Linux has many things and MOST of them works as they should. BSD has very few things and none of them work correctly. That's a difference.
    Well I should probably say GNU.

Why then my usb sound card plays only noise on Arch Linux?
    BSD's are more stable and if some OS is more stable it means it works correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      Yeah let's see if you say that when we get Wayland, how long it's going to get your BSD to get Wayland and KMS? another 20 years?
      About the same time as Linux, then

Anyway, if you want stable Linux, run Debian. If you're running Ubuntu or latest Fedora betas and expecting rock-solid stability, then you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
        Well I should probably say GNU.

Why then my usb sound card plays only noise on Arch Linux?
        BSD's are more stable and if some OS is more stable it means it works correctly.
        No, you should say exact distributions name. Arch is what you make it - if you don't configure Pulse Audio correctly you will get noise sometimes. Try Ubuntu or some other distributions. BSD's aren't more stable and they're not used in serious computing unlike Linux.

Comment

No, you should say exact distributions name. Arch is what you make it - if you don't configure Pulse Audio correctly you will get noise sometimes. Try Ubuntu or some other distributions. BSD's aren't more stable and they're not used in serious computing unlike Linux.
          Why sound works without Pulse Audio on outdated OSS?
          I have tried many distributions, but I would rather use Windows than Ubuntu.
          OOM killer and similar hacks make Linux really reliable and stable.

Comment

I'd like to see where linux graphic stack is faster than windows in a real test. I always laugh when linux fan boys cry about nvidia blob yet its the only way to get decent graphic speeds on linux. All the open source drivers are crap, at best you can play a FPS shooter with a 10 year old engine at a good framerate. Also you act like using a LTS such as ubuntu means wifi drivers work properly. All that means is I have an OS that is stable until the next LTS, which breaks my wifi. Which happens all the time, linux slogan should simply be 'regression'.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
              And you are wrong on pretty much every point you've made.
              You mean "on", learn proper English you fucking idiot.

Which points?

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                Why sound works without Pulse Audio on outdated OSS?
                I have tried many distributions, but I would rather use Windows than Ubuntu.
                OOM killer and similar hacks make Linux really reliable and stable.
                I tgought you were running Pulse Audio on Arch. So, if you had problems with ALSA you can run OSS on Linux as well. However, any modern Linux distribution uses Pulse Audio which may help you with your problems (properly configured like in Ubuntu, because in Arch I had to make one tweak). Why are you calling OOM killer and similar hacks? They're not hacks, but normal features. If there's no OOM killer in BSD I would rather fear to run it on something serious.
                Last edited by kraftman; 03 May 2012, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
                  I'd like to see where linux graphic stack is faster than windows in a real test. I always laugh when linux fan boys cry about nvidia blob yet its the only way to get decent graphic speeds on linux. All the open source drivers are crap, at best you can play a FPS shooter with a 10 year old engine at a good framerate. Also you act like using a LTS such as ubuntu means wifi drivers work properly. All that means is I have an OS that is stable until the next LTS, which breaks my wifi. Which happens all the time, linux slogan should simply be 'regression'.
                  Stop trolling and making misleading comparisons. There's no "Linux" distribution as far as I know, so what are you talking about? There are many problems with BSD, Windows and OS X, so if someone broke your wifi once it doesn't mean it's happening frequently. The same happens with newer BSD releases - new regressions are introduced, so we can call it a Regression BSD OS, don't you think? Linux hardware support is superior compared to BSD, Solaris, OS X and Windows (when we exclude third party drivers). There are many Linux distributions that have different goals. If you want superior stability choose Debian and RHEL, when you want great desktop experience choose Kubuntu and Ubuntu. It's such simple. When comes to graphic stack you have a choice. Linux running proprietary nVidia or AMD drivers are sometimes faster than Windows in real tests:

Three months have passed since the latest version of Ubuntu launched. With its classic desktop gone, Oneiric Ocelot is all Unity. The training wheels are off; no turning back now. Is Ubuntu ready for touchscreens? And how does it compare to Windows 7?

And it's not true "all Open Source drivers are crap", because they're usually more stable than proprietary equivalents and support features like KMS.

PS. new Windows Service Packs break things, so not only I have to care about new Windows releases, but also about patches.
                  Last edited by kraftman; 03 May 2012, 02:55 AM.

Comment

This is good news - they've stuck perfectly to their release schedule for many years.

Some of the software provided is out of date, but they freeze versions a while before releasing to concentrate on bugfixes. It's a shame that it doesn't have KMS, but it is being worked on (by one guy, who I believe also has a full-time job, hence it's taking a while).

Their "-current" flavour has more up to date software (firefox 12 etc.), and despite being their development version, it's remarkably stable.

I see no reason for any arguments here - I don't use FreeBSD, but I'm happy that they continue to make progress and put out new releases - it doesn't hurt me, and if they do something very good then it will make its way into systems that I do use.

Comment

I tgought you were running Pulse Audio on Arch. So, if you had problems with ALSA you can run OSS on Linux as well. However, any modern Linux distribution uses Pulse Audio which may help you with your problems (properly configured like in Ubuntu, because in Arch I had to make one tweak). Why are you calling OOM killer and similar hacks? They're not hacks, but normal features. If there's no OOM killer in BSD I would rather fear to run it on something serious.
                      I'm not sure for BSD, but Solaris doesn't overcommit memory. Reliable OS should never overcommit memory.

Comment

Working...
                      X