Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OS X 10.8 vs. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Performance

Phoronix: Mac OS X 10.8 vs. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Performance

Regardless of whether you're an Apple fan or not, by now you've likely heard the information about Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" that began making its rounds on the Internet since last week. But how's the performance of Mac OS X 10.8 and how will it compare to the competition on the Linux side, namely Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? In this article are our first benchmarks of the developer preview release of Mac OS X 10.8 compared to Mac OS X 10.7.3 and then Ubuntu 11.10 plus the latest Ubuntu 12.04 LTS development snapshot.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So why is Nexuiz so slow? Unity?

Comment

I was surprised to see the Mac win over Ubuntu in the games. Mac isn't known for supporting games very well.

I tried find out what games are available on the Mac, but couldn't really find any comprehensive site.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...software/games had 16 games to chose from...

They probably suffer from the console dominance over the pc just like Linux.

Comment

OS X only "won" the games benchmarks because Michael used a crippled Linux GPU driver with a bag full of known problems. (Intel Sandy Bridge)

Had he compared Radeon, then it would have destroyed the Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
          I was surprised to see the Mac win over Ubuntu in the games. Mac isn't known for supporting games very well.

I tried find out what games are available on the Mac, but couldn't really find any comprehensive site.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...software/games had 16 games to chose from...

Default sale page template for content hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
            OS X only "won" the games benchmarks because Michael used a crippled Linux GPU driver with a bag full of known problems. (Intel Sandy Bridge)

Had he compared Radeon, then it would have destroyed the Mac.
            It could be better with kwin or gnome shell, becaue Unity has some problems at the moment. However, Linux just destroyed it.

Comment

well what I find surprising is in previous tests, mac usually fell behind linux in graphics, at least with intel graphics. i'm not sure what happened here.

Comment

The first store dedicated to Mac games with over fifteen years of customer satisfaction. Thousands of Mac games to choose from! Instantly download and play most games for sale.

The Mac Game Store is pretty good about carrying games from both major developers/porters and smaller developers. They carry something like 1500 titles.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                well what I find surprising is in previous tests, mac usually fell behind linux in graphics, at least with intel graphics. i'm not sure what happened here.
                Might just be updated drivers? Previous tests were with 10.7.2. 10.7.3 added 2 extensions to the Intel Sandy Bridge Core Profile OpenGL 3.2 driver and 1 extension to the Legacy Profile OpenGL 2.1 driver so it's definitely seen some work.

Comment

What about battery duration

Hi!
                  one of the key aspects in notebooks is the battery duration, that has usually been usually less than good in Linux, and really good in OSX.
                  Since Ubuntu 12.04 is focusing in battery duration, would it be possible to measure that?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jgardia View Post
                    Hi!
                    one of the key aspects in notebooks is the battery duration, that has usually been usually less than good in Linux, and really good in OSX.
                    Since Ubuntu 12.04 is focusing in battery duration, would it be possible to measure that?

Thanks!
                    Excellent point! I would also love to see this benchmarked.

Comment

Working...
                    X