Gallium3D For Haiku Is Being Addressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    Highly unlikely that they'll be able to convince the Mesa developers to use GCC2-compatible code in mainline. There's too many benefits to using new features in GCC4, and more #ifdefs will make the code unreadable.

BeOS needs to use a compiler that's being actively developed, maintained, and receiving new features as language standards evolve. Unless someone wants to volunteer to support C++0x on the GCC2 platform, that's not very likely.

Oh and presumably they're using the *actual* GCC 2.x, not 2.95 (which is probably derived from egcs, which eventually became gcc3)? Pre-egcs gcc was terrible. I've used it.
    GCC2 indeed sucks. The reason we use GCC2 is for compatibility with BeOS binaries. Keep in mind that Haiku also has a well developed and stable gcc4 build.

The plan I have going forward is to use Mesa 7.8.2 (software rendering only) for GCC2 Haiku, and latest Mesa mainline (+hardware rendering?) for gcc4 builds.

The reason for using Mesa 7.8.2 on gcc2 builds is that anything newer then 7.8.2 has the new glsl C++ code which is c99. c99 C++ code does NOT compile in gcc2 without a HUGE number of changes.
    Last edited by kallisti5; 09 January 2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
      GCC2 indeed sucks. The reason we use GCC2 is for compatibility with BeOS binaries. Keep in mind that Haiku also has a well developed and stable gcc4 build.

The plan I have going forward is to use Mesa 7.8.2 (software rendering only) for GCC2 Haiku, and latest Mesa mainline (+hardware rendering?) for gcc4 builds.

The reason for using Mesa 7.8.2 on gcc2 builds is that anything newer then 7.8.2 has the new glsl C++ code which is c99. c99 C++ code does NOT compile in gcc2 without a HUGE number of changes.
      I honestly don't get why Haiku doesn't say screw it to running BeOS binaries and just move entirely to GCC 4. I mean, IMO it is just holding it back. You know you will switch to GCC4 in R2, why not just do so now? Also, you had that whole interview thing on the Haiku website right?

Comment

Working...
      X