Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD: A Faster Platform For Linux Gaming Than Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're not only comparing Linux vs FreeBSD. But also Unity vs KDE. And there's also some hardware differences. And then you come to the conclusion that the performance differences are due to the OS used?

Ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Do most users switch to a 'lighter' DM when playing games? Equally do most users switch off compositing before running a game (yes I know Kwin can do that automatically)

The only thing I don't like about this article is the title it really should be "PC-BSD: A Faster Platform for Linux Gaming than Ubuntu"

Everything else is using the default settings (plus the Nvidia blob) to see how fast games run

You don't get more fairer than that really
      I just want to point out that PC-BSD ships with KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        You're not only comparing Linux vs FreeBSD. But also Unity vs KDE. And there's also some hardware differences. And then you come to the conclusion that the performance differences are due to the OS used?

Ridiculous!
        Linux versus Mac OS X comparisons compare not only Linux and Mac OS X, but whatever desktop environment Linux uses with the Mac OS X desktop environment. It is fair for a Ubuntu versus PC-BSD comparison. As for Linux versus FreeBSD, it would probably be better to use KDE on both systems.

Comment

So.. FreeBSD is faster in a small set of circumstances (nVidia GPU with closed drivers), but doesn't run most of the games in others (ATI, OS drivers). I'm not sure that counts as a win for FreeBSD.

Seriously, if I wanted a tainted kernel with a KDE workspace and great gaming performance, I'd install windows. Even works with ATIs closed drivers!

Still, these numbers are interesting - if there's a bottleneck in linux, it needs to be found and eliminated. If only the numbers were useful in determining that.
          As others have mentioned, adding another distribution would be important to determine whether FreeBSD is faster than "Linux" or just faster than "Ubuntu". The article isn't too clear about possible differences due to different window managers, which always raises a red flag. It's difficult to trust the data when such issues aren't documented.

But, of course, the point of the headline is to generate clicks and ad-revenue, not to deliver useful numbers or research the actual causes for the difference. Why am I expecting more?

Comment

I would like to see FreeBSD against Gentoo Linux, which I assume that should be one of the best performance Linux distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by fernandoc1 View Post
              I would like to see FreeBSD against Gentoo Linux, which I assume that should be one of the best performance Linux distribution.
              Only if you've set it up properly, and even then it might not make a large difference. Gentoo has its strengths in customisation and clean package management; performance is just a by-product of being a source-based distro. So you might see better performance in cpu-bound games that are compiled from source, I doubt you'll see much difference with something like Unigine's Heaven benchmark. That assumes all other things are equal of course, but they won't be: Gentoo being a rolling release will have different xserver versions, kernel, gcc, etc etc etc.
              Last edited by mirv; 07 September 2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fernandoc1 View Post
                Your assumption is like that of a Marxist, that work and value are inseparable.

Comment

Originally posted by garytr24
                  Your assumption is like that of a Marxist, that work and value are inseparable.
                  I tip my hat to you, sir!

Comment

So using two somewhat different setups you find that the Nvidia BSD driver is faster than the Nvidia Linux driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
                      So using two somewhat different setups you find that the Nvidia BSD driver is faster than the Nvidia Linux driver?
                      Here's the thing, unless someone compares a barebone (low-end WM; composition disabled; services disabled; etc) on both ends, even this relatively benign statement above cannot be verified.

... The sad part of it is that AFAICS Michael is *indeed* trying to be productive, but somehow, his benchmark methodology always leaves something major behind

- Gilboa
                      Last edited by gilboa; 07 September 2011, 10:40 AM.
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X