Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD: A Faster Platform For Linux Gaming Than Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    FreeBSD always had the best memory management.

The operating system was done right the first time.

Now that Kernel.org is dead and you can't get source code for the Linux kernel from the main channel maybe everybody will start porting drivers to FreeBSD.

The Uningine deltas for 1024/768 look funky.
    In your humble dreams! You can dream about Linux memory management on bsd the same about Linux drivers. Keep dreaming. The OS that's done right for the first time? It took years for its devs to make DVD installers...

Comment

I'm eagerly awaiting that Haiku guy to jump in at any moment, pointing out how much BSD and Linux both suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Because this happens with every distro, Gentoo is the fastest by a margin of 90%.
        You know that is complete BS. In most cases if there is a difference it is marginal at best and that is on a "properly configured" gentoo if there is any difference at all. It's more like a case of Gentoo may win in 5% of tests by a margin of less then 3%. In a case of PTS where it downloads and compiles a majority of it's tests on every distro that margin becomes even smaller. Gentoo may had an edge a long time ago when distros were dealing with multiple brands and generations of 32 bit processors but those days are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
          And where are your supporting facts that my statement was opinionated?
          FreeBSD users and developers know my statement to be factual.
          And windows users know they have the best OS. Two can play that game. You have yet to state any facts to back up your opinion.

The FreeBSD memory manager is known as one of worst in all operating systems, it has outdated design and the decades old bugs that are considered features. All throughout the operating system there is a lack of quality and feels slapped together, the fact they can call it stable speaks volumes about the gross incompetence that goes on behind the scenes of FreeBSD development. -- Dr Steve Brule

Comment

I thought we, as a species, had already discussed the supposed performance advantages of Gentoo more than enough. I mean, yeah, I can understand people with less than 10 posts coming up with the same issues over and over. Fair enough, the ever lasting September and all that jazz. But the old guard...? I clearly remember some point in the past where some Gentoo users publicly admitted the reasons why they love their distro had not much to do with speed and more with ease of customisation...or something. And for all we know, benchmarks do nothing but suggest again and again that different compilation options have various effects depending on the code being baked.

Anyway, if some random Gentoo user wants to keep singing the same old same old, at least be honest and word it like something around the lines of

Gentoo is the fastest distro in the solar system by a 1337%(*)

(*)Terms and Conditions apply. As compared to a standard broken Ubuntu installation on a limited number of tests using a custom version of GCC doped with 0.02% extract of lizard liver and 2 ppm virgin blood.

Comment

i didnt knowd that there is such a lot contrary beethwen linux and bsd community

i prefer linux

reason: more and better drivers, better stability
              but i also like bsd, so i started to port some of my works to freebsd a few weeks ago

Comment

I tell you what Gentoo is, but before you must actually have used Gentoo. Otherwise all you make are wild claims, because Gentoo is different.
                Gentoo is based around its package manager - portage. Portage operates on recipes,called ebuilds, recipes contain standartized instructions(EAPI) and take input parameters(FLAGS) which may or may not contain target architecture, configuration, locale etc. All recipes are stored in tree, called portage tree and are checksumed. List of recipes is called profile, profiles are mostly used to instantly inject configuration - anything from base system to complete desktop. There is main tree and user is free to overlay his own or 3rd party on top of it. Portage supports binary packages - prebuild with specific settings and supports binary profiles, making large part of system behave like your average ubuntu and all additional software installed via recipe parsing (depending on what is contained there it may be and often is source code compilation).

The problem with Gentoo is that the project has grown in size so much, that its hard to overlook and maintain. Most source of the problems is large official portage tree.

Another problem is that Gentoo may be hard to install and use, because it allows so much. But when person learn to use the possibilities, he/she understands that can hardly be simplified without reduction of functionality.

The tests on Phoronix (Calculate Linux) are partially valid and partially invalid. Calculate, distribution that uses Gentoo and its system, although delivering complete system, does not mean this system has to stay complete.
                In fact, there should be several tests - one in stock Calculate configuration and another after make.conf has modified CFLAGS with "native" instead of "x86-64" and "emerge -e world" was issued, effectively reemerging all packages with instruction set detected for this CPU. THAT would be Gentoo, THEN by comparing stock and non-stock you will see how Gentoo(or general source-based) may improve or not, speed.

Everything else is BS.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  You know that is complete BS. In most cases if there is a difference it is marginal at best and that is on a "properly configured" gentoo if there is any difference at all. It's more like a case of Gentoo may win in 5% of tests by a margin of less then 3%. In a case of PTS where it downloads and compiles a majority of it's tests on every distro that margin becomes even smaller. Gentoo may had an edge a long time ago when distros were dealing with multiple brands and generations of 32 bit processors but those days are long gone.
                  Lolwhat? The properly configured gentoo will always fry any other properly configured distribution out there simply by the fact, code was optimized for host processor. The margin depends only on amount of compiled code. Bigger the static codebase, complexer the system (hello, 32bit what?) - more advantage. Unless compiler has bugs. Or unless people simply don?t care about firefox starting 0.5 seconds faster as result of compiling the code 30 minutes long.

Comment

Why do linux fanboys intensely hate BSDs so much, they act like its as bad or worse then windows. I use Freebsd daily and love it and many of its features, I also use arch linux for the same reason. You don't have to choose an OS and run with it as your only god lol.

Comment

Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
                      Why do linux fanboys intensely hate BSDs so much, they act like its as bad or worse then windows.
                      Why do bsd fanboys intensely hate linux so much, they act like it's bad or worse then windows.
                      Why do windows fanboys intensely hate linux/bsd so much, they act like......

What part of 'fanboy' don't you understand?

Comment

Working...
                      X