Apple Unleashes Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevenaaus View Post
    But OS X lines them all up on the bar and pisses all over them. Some things i love - a sane packaging system for apps to include their own library revisions.
    Compared to Linux's repositories it looks bad, but maybe you're talking about some third party member apps?

Beautiful, powerful and consistent interface with quality apps included, and an almost bug free unix layer underneath it all providing a reasonably secure backbone.
    Compared to KDE it doesn't look so good. KDE's consistent, beautiful and has far powerful apps for free.

Lots of commercial software too, which really makes me jealous &^%&&*! Hardware all works out of the box.
    More commercial software than Linux, but compared to Windows it's still bad. Hardware usually works out of the box with Linux. OS X has much easier task, because it's already preinstalled.

So I'm glad to say i'm sticking with Linux. Less bugs, powerful KDE-3.5, GNU Utils, Nvidia's GL drivers, Reiser3, (yes i know it's all stone-age ;>) and the rock that is the Linux kernel. But for anyone who's not a developer or Unix graduate... Kudos to Steve Jobs for his amazing operating system.
    There's nothing amazing in OS X, but there are some things like audio and graphics more polished. However, PA and Wayland should catch up... Respect for using KDE 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
      Petty grievance, much? Ditto the neckbeards complaining about Phoronix, le gasp, mentioning the release of another OS!

Edit: so as for my original reason for entering this thread, perhaps I'm dumb but how do you do a fresh install, if the only way to obtain OSX is now through the app store?
      Looks like later on in the thread you were given a link.

What I did was to find the main 10.7 DMG in the download, create a 10gig partition on an external drive, restore to that partition from the DMG and finally create a partition in the remaining free space for use by time machine. This gets you an install USB HDD with a full backup of your mac and all its files. When migrating to a new HDD, you have OS and all yer files in one place! :-)

As far as news concerning other operating systems, I like hearing about them. Hell, Michael even includes benchmarks with other operating systems, OH GOD NO! ;-)

Comment

I did not test 10.7, but most likely it is not that different to 10.6. The OS is basically ok, you have got a command line interface if you want it, maybe it could be configured better with a never bash and extended bash completition for commands as it is common on Linux systems. What definitely sucks most is apple hardware, especially the keyboard layout. If you are used to a pc style layout you are forced to learn new shortcuts, some keys are not marked how to get some special chars you often need in cli mode. Ok, it is possible to learn that, but i would never buy a MacBook with that stupid layout. Even if you dont use cli, you have to search the @ key Most likely Stever Jobs never used a standard pc keyboard, i really would like to know if he needs to search the special keys there too as former pc users on mac systems.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          But OS X lines them all up on the bar and pisses all over them. Some things i love - a sane packaging system for apps to include their own library revisions.
          Compared to Linux's repositories it looks bad, but maybe you're talking about some third party member apps?
          I'm just refering to the App setup, where libraries, fonts, etc are stored in ../../Resources. Here's a quick link . It's all beautifully transparent to the user and relocatable, but tough for noob devs like myself to get used to. My project handles huge custom C databases interfacing with every aspect of Tcl/Tk. http://scidvspc.sf.net. The version of Tcl shipping with snow-leopard had bugs when really stressed out. We had to compile our own version and ship with the App.

And i've seen the power of XCode too. Great built-in development and debugging interface.

Compared to KDE it doesn't look so good. KDE's consistent, beautiful and has far powerful apps for free.
          Hahaha..... Sorry, i hope you're not talking about KDE 4. It's probably the biggest project missteps i've ever seen, and ugly to boot. ... Just IMHO. Unfortunately, KDE-3 isn't relevant anymore.

Most likely Stever Jobs never used a standard pc keyboard
          Yes, I hate the OSX key layout too.
          But strangely..... after using them for a while, it's actually more natural to have the main meta key (APPLE key on OSX) beside the spacebar, instead of being tucked away in the corners like the CONTROL key is.
          Last edited by stevenaaus; 17 August 2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenaaus View Post
            .Hahaha..... Sorry, i hope you're not talking about KDE 4. It's probably the biggest project missteps i've ever seen, and ugly to boot. ... Just IMHO. Unfortunately, KDE-3 isn't relevant anymore.
            I'm talking about KDE 4. It seems you didn't try some other Linux DEs, so you don't know how bad something can be broken. :> Really, compared to OS X KDE 4 looks like a DE from the future and I'm talking about apps mainly.

Comment

OS X buttons are lickable

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              I'm talking about KDE 4. It seems you didn't try some other Linux DEs, so you don't know how bad something can be broken. :> Really, compared to OS X KDE 4 looks like a DE from the future and I'm talking about apps mainly.
              I guess KDE 4 does have a nice ascetic about it, but it never appealed to me.
              And after they released _pre-alpha_ software as 4.0 - well, it's hard to forgive and forget.

Comment

Working...
              X