Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.0 On Mac OS X Is Moving Along

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.0 On Mac OS X Is Moving Along

While the GTK+ tool-kit is primarily used on Linux based systems and those running an X.Org Server, with GTK+ 3.0 there are several improvements to benefit the Wayland Display Server as well as other operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone know the library that was used to display the steam interface in the leaked prototype?

Comment

GTK+ 2.x on the Mac was atrocious. No global menu, no keyboard shortcuts, crashes every time you blinked an eye. Does GTK+ 3.0 fix those issues?

@snuwoods: I haven't used Steam/Linux, but I'm pretty sure Steam/Win&Mac is embedding Webkit and displaying a HTML-based interface. Which is a quick and easy way to get a cross-platform application with a minimum amount of hassle, provided you aren't bothered about native looks.

Comment

can somebody give a reasonable explanation of why gtk on mac os is needed/important???

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          can somebody give a reasonable explanation of why gtk on mac os is needed/important???

It's for bragging rights, apparently:

Originally posted by http://www.gtk.org/
          GTK+ is a highly usable, feature rich toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces which boasts cross platform compatibility and an easy to use API.
          See http://www.gtk.org/

Comment

LOL

That's easy - it's because Qt can of course

;-)

On a serious note most developers want porting their applications to different operating systems a simple a process as possible, a cross-platform toolkit goes a long way to simplifying the process

The idea being if the Banshee folk decided they wanted to port to OSX it aught to be very simple and wouldn't need to worry about the GUI

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              The idea being if the Banshee folk decided they wanted to port to OSX it aught to be very simple if they didn't need to worry about the GUI
              Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
                Anyone know the library that was used to display the steam interface in the leaked prototype?
                Steam is written using a proprietary system called VGUI. Valve wrote it to render user interfaces in its games originally. The client linked to libGL and XLib so I assume that it's mostly using OpenGL to render it.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                @snuwoods: I haven't used Steam/Linux, but I'm pretty sure Steam/Win&Mac is embedding Webkit and displaying a HTML-based interface. Which is a quick and easy way to get a cross-platform application with a minimum amount of hassle, provided you aren't bothered about native looks.
                The Linux version didn't actually have any libraries for WebKit - they weren't available (probably not ported at the time) at any point that the Linux binaries were.

Comment

Working...
                X