No announcement yet.

Limited ATI support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I have an older model card. It is a 5200 FX, IT doesn't have support in 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Sorry, I have an older model card. It is a 5200 FX, IT doesn't have support in 64-bit.
      OK, that makes sense now. Ya it is GF6 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Yes, I do.

To answer the rest of the replies, the complaint is the only support is FOSS drivers that is slow progressing and new hardware is not yet supported. So, you don't even have the open source option. If the community decides 'it's good enough' or 'it will take months/years' to achieve features A, B and C, you don't have another driver option (i.e. binary blob). The Nvidia equivalent is less than ideal but it's supported and should work to some degree... at least, you can use recent hardware with it.

Kano's point is also good as well... they're supporting Solaris... what about the excuse that the market share is super low or percentage of users is low? Where is AMD?
        Maybe Oracle is paying for it?

Dave.

Comment

Nvidia's blob support for FreeBSD is laughable at best. AMD's non-existent. The reason is simple: noone is using FreeBSD for 3d graphics. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD doesn't have a workstation market, hence no money are to be made there.

Which leaves open-source support. How many FreeBSD developers are contributing to Mesa, Gallium and R300/R600/Nouveau/Intel? Count them and I think you'll see why the driver situation sucks there.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Nvidia's blob support for FreeBSD is laughable at best. AMD's non-existent. The reason is simple: noone is using FreeBSD for 3d graphics. Unlike Linux, FreeBSD doesn't have a workstation market, hence no money are to be made there.

Which leaves open-source support. How many FreeBSD developers are contributing to Mesa, Gallium and R300/R600/Nouveau/Intel? Count them and I think you'll see why the driver situation sucks there.
            How is it laughable? Have you tested it? Has Phoronix tested it? Do I see a benchmark in our future?

Comment

There's a few devs working on open-source Radeon support for FreeBSD now. FreeBSD 9 should have 3D acceleration when it is released.
              Link (the last bullet under "Other Changes")

Comment

ROFL, Panix, you're the best troll on here after gordboy.

You STILL don't have an ATi card, yet you've spent the last year starting 3 threads a week about how much ATi sucks.

You must lead an interesting life

Comment

BTW, most Mesa and X code is under BSD-compatible licenses (i.e. not GPL).

Most of it will run in usermode (not requiring Linux KMS).

The drivers are there, it's just that nobody cares enough about making them work.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    ROFL, Panix, you're the best troll on here after gordboy.

You STILL don't have an ATi card, yet you've spent the last year starting 3 threads a week about how much ATi sucks.

You must lead an interesting life
                    Well, if there are people interested in making FOSS drivers work on BSD, I'm all for it too. BSD is actually quite a mature OS compared to Linux and getting BSD to run the latest hardware would definitely be a good thing.

As for panix being a troll, I'd say he's just merely stirring controversy rather.

Comment

I think it is a question of three moments.

1) Availability. Linux driver stack is unfinished, unpolished and lacking lots of functionality - if to be compared with catalyst(yes, big "lol") or nvblob.
                      2) Lacking manpower. Linux driver stack itself receives 1/100 of attention it "should".
                      3) Licensing. BSD is steal-friendly. Where GPL would give good protection against raw stealing(ie. concealing), BSD is plainly give-away. I doubt any company would share any IP unless it is well-known by others and hence outdated, cause that would mean simply loosing advantage vs minor gains(bsd moneyflow).

Panix points are valid in many cases.

Comment

Working...
                      X