FInally, FreeBSD 8.0 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeckyll View Post
    Ah, cool! How do I configure ZFS in Ubuntu to boot from a raidz pool?
    Nobody says *BSD or Solaris doesn't have some advantages over Linux.

The point is, you mentioned a fact, not some more or less imaginary 'advantages'.

Comment

Originally posted by jeckyll View Post
      Ah, cool! How do I configure ZFS in Ubuntu to boot from a raidz pool?
      http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Root_...Crypt_and_RAID

Comment

How much bullshit here?

The only debate could be if a microkernel (like minix) is better than a monolithic kernel. Since freebsd is monolithic, there is nothing to debate. And if you really want to debate a linux vs freebsd on a general configuration, just please shut up because we all know Linux will kick its ass on 99% of things, from drivers to personal configuration.
        And discussing about distros is bullshit, it has got nothing to do with who is better between a linux kernel and a freebsd one. Too much fanboyism here.

Comment

Well you can install debian with freebsd kernel too *g*

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Nobody says *BSD or Solaris doesn't have some advantages over Linux.

The point is, you mentioned a fact, not some more or less imaginary 'advantages'.
            To be fair the guy he was responding to did say
            With Linux you can have whatever FreeBSD has to offer plus bette performance
            Which just isn't true. You can't have ZFS under Linux, it doesn't support the file system due to licensing reasons. And no there isn't a comparable file system for Linux just yet.

FreeBSD has it's advantages over Linux, and vice versa. If people would be a bit more pragmatic about it they'd use the right tool for the right job.

It's the same junk you get over all things: too many zealots not enough pragmatists.

Back to the original article: Over 24 hours later after Phoronix announced it as released and still no official word yet. Jumping the gun a little early?

Comment

Originally posted by Garp View Post

FreeBSD has it's advantages over Linux, and vice versa.
              Then to be fair, you must also say that Linux has a lot more advantages than FreeBSD. And about ZFS and its license, you shouldn't even mention it, otherwise I could start a debate on Microsoft stuff that beats Linux due to the lack of "x" software/driver or whatever under an OS !Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                Then to be fair, you must also say that Linux has a lot more advantages than FreeBSD.
                Umm.. I did. "and vice versa" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_versa

The each have their purposes and strengths. It's tough to say one has more advantages than the other because it really depends on what you're trying to use it for.

And about ZFS and its license, you shouldn't even mention it, otherwise I could start a debate on Microsoft stuff that beats Linux due to the lack of "x" software/driver or whatever under an OS !Windows.
                And that would be just more zealotry to most people.

Which OS should I use should always be followed by the question "What do you want to do?"

Comment

Working...
                X