Debian FreeBSD Kernel Option Ready For Squeeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    I don't really see any opensource alternatives to Linux very promising due to Linux simply having pretty much the best driver support.
    Yet I just moved one of my servers to FreeBSD because of the non-broken drivers...</irony>

GPL is it's biggest strength.
    I thought its biggest strength was the unwashed masses that flame anyone that dares criticize it, forcing a herd mentality and negating any other operating system as a valid alternative. Silly me.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      If you really want to see some problem in Linux, it's that it's GPL and therefore can't ever support ZFS.
      Fortunately for us it is GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        I thought its biggest strength was the unwashed masses that flame anyone that dares criticize it, forcing a herd mentality and negating any other operating system as a valid alternative. Silly me.
        Truth almost always hurts and even if we like it or not, there is not any other valid alternative to Linux, for desktops at least. To support every secondary OS in the way we support the first one, is not some kind of chivalry but mainly an action that negates the first OS.
        Last edited by Apopas; 08 October 2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          Truth almost always hurts and even if we like it or not, there is not any other valid alternative to Linux, for desktops at least. To support every secondary OS in the way we support the first one, is not some kind of chivalry but mainly an action that negates the first OS.
          If you had said workstation I would agree with you, as a general desktop not so much. Microsoft and Apple still have solid desktop offerings ;-p

Comment

I thought it's *BSD domain

Comment

If you had said workstation I would agree with you, as a general desktop not so much. Microsoft and Apple still have solid desktop offerings ;-p
              I mean from the OSS world.

Comment

Working...
              X