No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 8.0 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well, it was an interesting discussion .

Comment

it almost seems like freebsd users hate us. I mean, i dont mind freebsd.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        it almost seems like freebsd users hate us. I mean, i dont mind freebsd.
        I personally love these threads.

There is clearly a cycle in response to these benchmarks.
        • Shock
        • Disbelief
        • Denial
        • Anger
        • Investigation
        • Acceptance

If I some more time, I'd come up with a snappy 5 or 7-stage acronym for the cycle and copyright it .

Any takers to improve the acronym, SDDAIA isn't as catchy as I wold like.

Comment

I've used BSD *once*. It was m0n0wall, I think you all know it, the router distribution.

So, I'm not a BSD fanboy. In fact, I'm using Archlinux and currently compiling 2.6.31 with the BFS 240 patch.

With that said, I think it's said that so many... less fortunate users here on Phoronix' forums spread so many lies and (what seem like) retarded comments.

It has been said many times in this thread that this comparison/benchmark is invalid - it has also been explained why, in the most basic terms.
          Yet, users here disregard the facts, put their hands on their ears and scream "BSD sux!! Linux is faster no matter what!! lalalala".

It's sad, really. Just my ?0.02.

Comment

which 'facts'?

ubuntu rc was compared against freebsd rc and freebsd release and was faster than BOTH.

another fact: freebsd users claim for more than a decade that freebsd is 'faster' but whenever challenged they mumble in their beards. If someone does a benchmark, linux almost always wins - by a wide margin. And ALWAYS the freebsd fanboys claim the test is 'invalid'.

Newsflash: it is not. Just because you don't like the results does not make it invalid. The result is pretty simple:
            a RC of UBUNTU is faster than a RC of FreeBSD AND a RELEASE of Freebsd.

About other cases of freebsd suckage:

yes, those are old. Surprisingly FreeBSD was not able to come up with good, fair benchmarks in the mean time. Or isn't it a surprise at all?

There are reasons why Linux is the more popular server OS. Despite FreeBSDs claims and headstart. And the reason is not fanboism. The reason is:
            linux is so much better at it.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              which 'facts'?

ubuntu rc was compared against freebsd rc and freebsd release and was faster than BOTH.
              Ubuntu didn't have debug stuff on. BSD did. Therefore, the test is not valid in comparing BSD and Linux performance.

If you want to compare FreeBSD 8 RC performance to Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 6, then sure, this benchmark is correct. But it's utterly useless nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
                Ubuntu didn't have debug stuff on. BSD did. Therefore, the test is not valid in comparing BSD and Linux performance.

If you want to compare FreeBSD 8 RC performance to Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 6, then sure, this benchmark is correct. But it's utterly useless nonetheless.
                Ubuntu also has some debug enabled. Btw. someone should paste Mtippett posts next time
                Last edited by kraftman; 29 September 2009, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post

wrong and wrong.

Ubuntu has debug turned on

Ubuntu was also compared to a RELEASE. So the comparism is valid. Even if you take 8 RC out of the picture Ubuntu still kicked 7.2 RELEASE

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato

According to clau:
                    "So, there were a bunch of messages (including from myself) about this, without actually checking it. I just installed FreeBSD 8.0RC1 in Qemu, and AFAICT the debugging options aren't enabled."
                    Last edited by Apopas; 29 September 2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Can't verify the debug options myself.

What I heard is that some debug things were turned on for the BSD kernel and not the Ubuntu kernel. If that's wrong, so BSD and Ubuntu had similar debug options turned on, then I suppose the benchmark is okay from that perspective.

To be honest, all these comments that look like they're coming from 2-year olds is that destroys this thread.

Anyway. Can't wait for the huge OS/distro comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X