X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    he also can ignor this smellyapplecrappeaceofmacosshit...

i vote vor ignor macos!
    I vote to ignore your incoherent uninformed ramblings that are out of touch with reality.

Leave a comment:

• AdrenalineJunky
    replied
    no - it doesn't make the system bad, but it is an important enough application to where many people would care more about that then a small performance boost.

Leave a comment:

• woodchucker53
    replied
    Benchmark

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: A Big Operating System Benchmark Comparison

Next month at Phoronix we intend to conduct a large benchmarking comparison of a few different operating systems. Right now we are looking at Ubuntu, Mac OS X (we will be waiting for 10.6 "Snow Leopard"), NetBSD, PC-BSD, OpenSolaris, and FreeBSD...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQ1Nw
    I don't understand why the 'buntus always seem to make the lists. There are better distros out there, imo, such as Pclinux, Mandrive, and Simplymepis. The 'buntus always seem to leave something to be desired, at least for me.

Can you include a larger variety on Linux dstros for comparison?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by DDevine View Post
    I would really like to see Haiku OS thrown into this mix, though I am not sure it will run PTS.
    I have wanted to bring PTS to Haiku, but do they even have PHP available for Haiku yet?

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Micheal,
    How about having a test with all 32 and 64 bit linux suggested above first. And the winner (with the most/widely used)--that makes two distros--will 'challange' the others.

Same for *BSD.

so, you got 2 Linux distro vs. 1--winner--*BSD vs. opensolaris vs. MacOSX vs. the rest OSes..

Oh, and If you kind enough, please repeat the test again when big distro has out of their nest (opensuse, mandriva, ubuntu, fedora).

TQ
    Last edited by t.s.; 15 August 2009, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    Just because you use arch doesnt make it an ideal testing platform. I use linux mint but you dont see me asking for that to be tested, i can already assure you its bloated. If the man had the time i would say go for it but he and hopefully others here have lives to attend .
    I use gentoo... Never tried Arch!
    And because I respect other's lives I say to make the benchmark even more worthy

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by tesuki View Post
    also two test that would be intressting are SunSpider webbrowser test on the default browser of the operating system.
    Well you can already run PeaceMaker which is a bit more comprehensive benchmark of browsers already online. They have comparitive results there. It would be a duplicated effort.

The second are GeekBench since it works on the most platforms.
    Geekbench won't run on 64-bit unless you pay for it and because it's a precompiled blob it is extremely hard extrapolate results on processor architecture. We have no idea what has been optimized and for what. Since it's not a real-world use benchmark results would be speculative and inconclusive as to how it would pertain to real world use.

Leave a comment:

• arjan_intel
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    you are a laier if you say you can use sse3 on the atom with an defauld desktop linux distri!
    That's a choice of your distribution.
    Moblin uses sse3 in 32 bit for everything.
    Fedora 12 will use sse2 in their 32 bit install.

It's a choice. If you don't like the choice your distribution makes, either talk to them to change it, or change distributions.

Leave a comment:

• tesuki
    replied
    I would like to see SLED/SLES and RHEL in the benchmark. Since both are made for enterprise. Also they do have support and have a community built operating system (openSUSE and Fedora).

Having to many Linux based operating systems would be meaningless I think, and hardware wouldn't matter as long it is the same for all. Maybe Windows 7 should be in to.

also two test that would be intressting are SunSpider webbrowser test on the default browser of the operating system.
    The second are GeekBench since it works on the most platforms.

Leave a comment:

• Kirurgs
    replied
    Hi!

I would like to see:
    1. Fedora 11, Mandriva (whatever is the lastes), OpenSuses (whatever is the lastest), Bubuntu (whatever is the latest) - because these are popular and everyone use them
    2. ArchLinux - because it's rolling the bleediest of the bleeding edge (construct Your OS Yourself style), gentoo style with installation and configuration in couple of mins (actually I'm using it daily)
    3. SLES, RHEL, CentOS, Solaris - because these are latest, supported from respective vendors, etc., just wanna see how this compares to others
    4. OpenSolaris, Free[Open]BSD - just the results, no specific reason

regards
    Kirurgs

Leave a comment:

Working...
X