A Big Operating System Benchmark Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Development cycles

I think you should prepare all you need and wait until the next development cycles of Ubuntu and Fedora are final - but thats only my opinion.

Comment

I have always wondered if the 'RT' kernel in a music distro had other benefits. Could UbuntuStudio 9.10 be added to the list? Maybe 64 Studio 3.0?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        thats a good Point!

use an AMD VGA cart or nvidia but please not intel!
        I dont think amd is even a good option. Nvidia works well on all platforms and the drivers are shared so that would be the logical decision.

I would just like to see a fair setup with equal hardware. All must be run in 64 bit mode. All must use the same filesystems if possible or the OS specific ones. eg. EXT4 on linux regardless if EXT3 is default. If Mac is compiled with certain SSE instructions then so should the other kernels.

save your time and just do freebsd, as they say, they are right. Save your time, ubuntu is a must because of its large user base and maybe fedora to contrast it. If the arch people didn't get it already from the arch benchmark, the distribution itself has little to do with the speed, more so to do with filesystem or kernel. Its a time sink. Solaris is a must but i think the results can already be expected.

Comment

32bit is death... only retarded intel guys use atom32bitonly

and intel know that cpus witout 64 are death they only want earn some extra money witout deliver good produkts.

on linux 64bit is much faster becourse of the sse2 as a minimum of supportet extansion.

64bit linux win 80-90% of all tests!

everyone how buy an 32bit cpu today for running linux is mental retarded!
          actually intel knows that they can save on manufacturing costs and use less electricity by keeping the atom 32bit - which for its intended platform is very important.

as for the sse2 thing - thats a horrible arguement as the attom supports sse2/3/4.

for some things portability and battery life are more important the extreme processing power - and sometimes people only need a simple internet or multimedia machine and don't want to spend alot. for both of those, the atom is a great product.

Comment

64bit linux win 80-90% of all tests!
            Sources missing.

Comment

everyone how buy an 32bit cpu today for running linux is mental retarded!
              I guess that would mean ~70% of linux users are retarded then as that's still about the percentage of linux users using 32-bit. One of the strengths of linux is NOT having to buy new hardware to keep current with the OS. Linux is just as much as running on legacy systems as it is running on current hardware.

Comment

I would really like to see Haiku OS thrown into this mix, though I am not sure it will run PTS.

As far as Linux distros go I would like to see Fedora and also Arch Linux thrown in (I enjoyed the Ubuntu vs Arch article today).

Another interesting thing to see compared would have to be the Enterprise distributions. SLES and RHEL - if these cannot be sourced (you can get SLES for free with 6 months of updates I think) then you put CentOS in there to give an idea of how an "Enterprise Linux" stacks up against cutting edge community distros.

It would be cool to see a Microsoft OS comparison too if the policy permits.

Comment

I'd like to see Fedora, RHEL/CentOS and Sabayon/Gentoo [Default and totally optimized!] included in the comparison.

I agree with previous posters that boot times are a must for this test. I also think each platform should concentrate on a single filesystem if possible (ext4 on Linux until BtrFS is better optimized).

It might be wise to split the test into multiple groups, one for each platform (Linux and BSD) and then putting the winners (if there is a clear winner, or a selection of winners) against OpenSolaris and OS X.

Comment

I think it would be good to include different branches of Linux and Sabayon is an interesting branch of Gentoo. Easy to install, rolling updates and includes most everything out of the box. I haven't tried it recently, but they have a new update due the end of the month (5.0). Would be a good way to get the Gentoo branch included.

Comment

Archlinux

Archlinux - it is a performance beast and always one of if not the most up to date linux distro with it's rolling release architecture. Not to mention that AUR already has phoronix text suite.

Comment

Working...
                      X