A Big Operating System Benchmark Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poofyyoda View Post
    Please don't use the shitty intel graphics which would skew results in favour of OS X again.
    Are you donating a Mac Pro or iMac or new Mac Mini to Michael?

Comment

I would love it see how alternatives to alternative OS stand. Haiku and Aros come in my mind right now. ReactOS wold be cool too, but phoronix test suite can't run on it (nor on Aros, but i can ask anyway)

Comment

"Don't use that IGP that everyone and their mom owns, 'cause OS X is better with them!!" FAIL. Guess what else? I'm betting the test machine will have an X3100 Intel gpu. As it should. We're looking for some degree of real world performance, right? Sure, Apple will win, big surprise there. --but I'm willing to bet 9.10 will have caught up with them a lot. --and maybe 10.04 will bring us up to speed? This is to be an objective test. Your comment seeks to skew this objectivity.

And really. Intel drivers are the only ones that are actual Free code. Who fricking cares what ATi and nVidia do with their Linux and Mac drivers? That isn't us. That isn't code that our community came up with. ..(but OS X would win there too.)

Regardless, OS X doesn't have (affordable) hardware support worth a darn, so in the end, Ubuntu wins however these benchmarks come out. Just give it to us straight.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
          Hopefully run RHEL on "supported" hardware? Supposedly their kernels are only patched for hardware on their supported list.
          Just guessing but I'd assume it goes the other way around as in only hardware patched well enough to work well gets on supported list. ^^ Your way of putting it sounds a tad conspirational.

Comment

FreeBSD and PC-BSD doesn't make any sense. PC-BSD is just plain FreeBSD with some userfriendliness added (another installer, GUI by default). Performance should be identical as long as you don't choose a PC-BSD release with an older FreeBSD base.
            Better add OpenBSD instead.

A source release-based Linux distro like Gentoo would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              uuuhhh.. realy? come one we do not need 32bit tests!

only 64bit! 32bit is an lameduck!
              Most netbooks/net tops are 32-bit only, so yes there is still a need for it. Especially when a majority of linux users still use 32-bit.
              and do we realy need all of the linux distris ?= ?= = = = =?? ?

in my point of view in this test only 1 linux distri is better,

he can make another test to test only linux distris...
              Sure he can, he can also only test 1 version of BSD as well.

Comment

Well, benchmark shoot-outs alone are (no offence to your previous hard work) getting a little dull and repetitive. Of more interest is probably the question: How well do the differing OS's take advantage of the hardware available?

The key questions for me would be:
                1. How does the jump in performance of OS A on a hard drive vs. an SSD compare to the jump for OS's B, C, D, etc. for the same?
                  Recommended settings from the provider (i.e. noatime) would be applied
                  This would make sense in the disk tests.
                2. How does the jump in performance of OS A on 32 vs. 64 bit and single vs. dual vs. quad core compare to the jump for OS's B, C, D, etc. for the same?
                  Noting disadvantages such as no flash, broken/unavailable gfx drivers, etc.
                  This would make sense in CPU and multi-threading heavy tests.
                3. How well does OS A work with Intel/AMD/NVidia compared to OS's B, C, D, etc where appropriate?
                  A server board with Intel could be used, then add-in AMD/NVidia cards.
                  Possibly open-source and proprietary drivers could be assesed.
                  This would make sense in graphics heavy tests.

As to actual OS's pick one from each:
                1. Linux Desktop/User friendly (probably Ubuntu Desktop)
                2. Linux Server/Hardcore (Ubuntu Server, RHES, Arch, i.e. lean)
                3. Mac OS X
                4. Solaris or OpenSolaris (any significant difference?)
                5. Net/Free/PC-BSD (perhaps more than one of them)
                6. <dream-mode>Windows 7</dream-mode>
                7. Possible others?...

I would suggest that only the latest available supported releases are eligible. No alphas, betas or rc's.

In the end this all might be a touch futile. Even if there were better figures in one of the others, personally I'd be unlikely to switch OS based on benchmarks. As an end-user it's more about the utility, comfort and previous experience of an OS than about a bit of performance here and there.

As a developer (or in my case, a geek) it is interesting to highlight and spot patterns of deficiencies in comparison to peers.

Comment

Originally posted by poofyyoda View Post
                  Please don't use the shitty intel graphics which would skew results in favour of OS X again.
                  Waiting on someone to send me some new Apple hardware then...
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

gentoo is probably too much trouble to install, but would be nice to know if it's actually faster if well-maintained.

Comment

Here's some of the new test profiles already added in Git, which will appear in Phoronix Test Suite 2.2 Alpha 1 for the testing.

- pts: Add stream test profile for Stream memory benchmark
                      - pts: Add tachyon test profile for Tachyon Parallel Ray-Tracing benchmark
                      - pts: Add python-environment base test profile for placing external dependency on python and reporting Python version to test notes
                      - pts: Add pybench test profile for Python's PyBench
                      - pts: Add tscp test profile for the chess benchmark
                      - pts: Add chess test suite for test profiles that use chess AI
                      - pts: Add john-the-ripper test profile for John The Ripper password cracker benchmark
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X