Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 14.1 vs. DragonFlyBSD 6.4 vs. NetBSD 10 vs. Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FreeBSD 14.1 vs. DragonFlyBSD 6.4 vs. NetBSD 10 vs. Linux Benchmarks

    Phoronix: FreeBSD 14.1 vs. DragonFlyBSD 6.4 vs. NetBSD 10 vs. Linux Benchmarks

    After last week looking at how FreeBSD 14.1 has improved performance over FreeBSD 14.0, here is an expanded cross-OS comparison now looking at how the new FreeBSD 14.1 stable release compares to the recently released NetBSD 10.0, the current DragonFlyBSD 6.4 release, and then CentOS Stream 9 and Ubuntu 24.04 LTS for some Linux comparison data points.

    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

  • #2
    I hope there a refactoring/optimization update for the linux kernel soon rather than just focusing on adding new features

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice, definitely hadn't expected FreeBSD to come out ahead so broadly in this, would definitely be interested in more workload oriented Linux vs FreeBSD benchmarks,

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by vextium View Post
        I hope there a refactoring/optimization update for the linux kernel soon rather than just focusing on adding new features
        Linux always eats freebsd for breakfast, but this may be related to known pstate bug. Good for freebsd, though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Nice, thanks for the tests.

          However, what do these tests say about real life performance?

          Which part is the one that reflects daily usage?

          Comment


          • #6
            Why not Benchmark the BSDs against stuff like Tumbleweed or CachyOS. They are peek Linux performance and probably both would obliterate the competition.

            I mean look at the results. Ubuntu with Kernel 6.8 is just as fast as Centos with a 5.14 Kernel ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Impressive! I like competition!

              Comment


              • #8
                Really nice results from FreeBSD. It's always strange to me that people in these forums crap all over other open source operating systems. Even if FreeBSD had 90% desktop market share and Linux / Windows / macOS were fighting for the remaining 10%, we'd be better off than we are today in a world where open source operating systems are just statistical noise on the desktop.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by User29 View Post
                  Nice, thanks for the tests.

                  However, what do these tests say about real life performance?

                  Which part is the one that reflects daily usage?
                  What is daily usage? Web browsing? Youtube? Reading emails? Shit posting on Twitter/X?
                  There is video encoding and file compression in this mix of benchmarks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by User29 View Post
                    Nice, thanks for the tests.

                    However, what do these tests say about real life performance?

                    Which part is the one that reflects daily usage?
                    there were a couple in there: x265, sqlite, XZ compression, PHP Bench, but yeah it'd be good to see to see a dedicated desktop and server benchmarking test done rather than mostly synthetic.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X