FreeBSD Community Survey Confirms ZFS Is Their Most Valued Server Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Community Survey Confirms ZFS Is Their Most Valued Server Feature

Phoronix: FreeBSD Community Survey Confirms ZFS Is Their Most Valued Server Feature

The FreeBSD Foundation has published the results of the FreeBSD Community Survey that reveal interesting insights about FreeBSD usage and its users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No BTRFS on FreeBSD, so what's the advanced filesystem competition?

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
      No BTRFS on FreeBSD, so what's the advanced filesystem competition?
      Nor even HAMMER2

Comment

Hilarious that FreeBSD’s most valuable feature (or really, its only valuable feature) isn’t even their own.

Comment

Most valued feature? Its about their only feature! And as mentioned above it really isnt their own feature. Lets be honest what is actually left for native FreeBSD features? Huge parts of their platform and the majority of their ecosystem is lifted from Linux these days.

Comment

nah but like LOL wat jajajjaja thinking about wat the contributions which have inspired these fellow phronix posters in order 2 make these ??? sorts of posts !!

if $$ you give me your g1t h1st0ry !!! then i will tink abot NOTTINGHAM making phon of you u lol

LOL !!!!!!

LMAOOOOOOO

dat means who r u 2 post !! such arrogant posts !! above me !!

Comment

Well ZFS is pretty dope. It would be high on my list for Linux server features too (but more painful due to being out of tree).

Comment

It makes sense! I'm using btrfs as much as I can on Linux, but on FreeBSD I would probably use ZFS instead. Those twos seem to be the current best choice for those operating systems, whith similar kind of features other filesystems cannot compete with. Maybe we can say btrfs is the ZFS of Linux, and ZFS the btrfs of FreeBSD.

I know FreeBSD did not originated in FreeBSD but I don't mind: what's important is that the filesystem is provided with the system by default, and btrfs on Linux and ZFS on FreeBSD compare well on both integration and features.

Comment

I suspect the most valuable feature of FreeBSD, in common with other BSDs, is the licence. Without getting into any arguments, it's a reason why many people both use and contribute to BSD code. What the code actually does is of lesser importance.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                    I suspect the most valuable feature of FreeBSD, in common with other BSDs, is the licence. Without getting into any arguments, it's a reason why many people both use and contribute to BSD code. What the code actually does is of lesser importance.
                    I suspect the most valuable feature of Linux, in common with every single FOSS project in existence, is the licence. Without getting into any arguments, it's a reason why many people both use and contribute to Linux code. What the code actually does is of lesser importance.

Comment

Working...
                    X