No announcement yet.

Rust-Written Redox OS Continues Gravitating Toward The COSMIC Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmstick I appreciate the work you and all the others are doing with this.

What already appears to a solid desktop (even in its current pre-alpha state) that had both great floating and tiling modes, breaks free from the Qt/GTK hegemonies, Wayland-native (no historical graphical server stuff in the code base), written in a loved by many modern memory-safe language (yes, I know there are haters here regarding Rust), leverages and contributes to Smithay (think wlroots, but in Rust not C - not saying a one to one match, but fits the same purpose.) What is not to like here? I could go on, but hopefully my points are coming across.

Unless I want to be in a more lightweight window manager, COSMIC has been more go-to lately and I have been very happy with it.
    Last edited by ehansin; 04 June 2024, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Kudos for Redox and for the S76 to create a DE from scratch... 👍

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

What already appears to a solid desktop (even in its current pre-alpha state) that had both great floating and tiling modes, breaks free from the Qt/GTK hegemonies, Wayland-native (no historical graphical server stuff in the code base), written in a loved by many modern memory-safe language (yes, I know there are haters here regarding Rust), leverages and contributes to Smithay (think wlroots, but in Rust not C - not saying a one to one match, but fits the same purpose.) What is not to like here? I could go on, but hopefully my points are coming across.

Unless I want to be in a more lightweight window manager, COSMIC has been more go-to lately and I have been very happy with it.
        whats wrong with cosmic from a lightweight standpoint? cosmic in my testing uses just a little more ram then weston does. 16m vs 18m in nested mode which isn't bad. In DRM mode cosmic-comp is a little heavier weson at 17.2 MiB and cosmic-comp at 15.2 MiB. When comparing cpu usage cosmic-comp is also very lightweight, Im not even sure how to actually quantify the difference since it's pretty close to sway and weston. as for GPU I do get better performance with cosmic-comp then I do with kwin and sway.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          whats wrong with cosmic from a lightweight standpoint? cosmic in my testing uses just a little more ram then weston does. 16m vs 18m in nested mode which isn't bad. In DRM mode cosmic-comp is a little heavier weson at 17.2 MiB and cosmic-comp at 15.2 MiB. When comparing cpu usage cosmic-comp is also very lightweight, Im not even sure how to actually quantify the difference since it's pretty close to sway and weston. as for GPU I do get better performance with cosmic-comp then I do with kwin and sway.
          There is nothing wrong with it at all and is mostly what I am running these days. But if I want to stick to something more keyboard-centric and even more minimal from a usage/UI perspective, things like Sway, Niri, etc. are good fits for me. Having something that can fit a more traditional desktop environment space and also be lightweight is great. I am very excited to see where things lead, already happy with COSMIC as-is given so new.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Definitely something I plan to experiment with once nVidia explicit sync and crash recovery and all the other things I've been waiting on KWin for are pinned down. Being written in Rust, if I feel the theming support isn't flexible enough, I have confidence in my ability to write a patchset to make it what I want without making a mess of things.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              Definitely something I plan to experiment with once nVidia explicit sync and crash recovery and all the other things I've been waiting on KWin for are pinned down. Being written in Rust, if I feel the theming support isn't flexible enough, I have confidence in my ability to write a patchset to make it what I want without making a mess of things.
              Time will tell how much customization and theming is possible, it is early days of course and S76 I am sure is focused right now on a solid MVP (minimal viable product.) Btw, writing this in Gnome from a clean install today on a test laptop, not bad for this laptop as well. Showed some of the "kiddos" earlier at a coffee shop I usually frequent in the morning the setup and how Linux can do different desktops. One guy seemed pretty intrigued, had questions

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'm sure they may accept patches, they like customizability.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  Redox OS is not being secretly operated by System76. It is a registered non-profit organization governed by people who are not employed at System76. The decision for Redox to use COSMIC is a shared interest in having a desktop environment written in Rust. It works out perfectly that Jeremy is working on COSMIC at System76 while also being able to leverage COSMIC's development in Redox OS.​ It's not the big conspiracy theory that you are dreaming of.
                  Who said anything about a conspiracy?

I thought you said that System76's upper management were the people that created Redox; is this not the case?

I was also under the impression that COSMIC originated as the DE for Redox, or more accurately share the code base.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    What investors? Restructure what? System76 is a privately-owned company. It's not a publicly-traded company. There's no stocks or shareholders. We are all quite happy about the progress that we've made on COSMIC to date.
                    I assume there had to be an initial investor, someone that put up some start up capital and that is hoping to see a return.

Regardless, as long as you guys are happy with your progress, that's all that really matters.

It's not like you owe us a damn thing, you are giving the software away for free and in the end whether it's good or not it doesn't hurt us in any way,

It will hurt System76, but let's think positive,
                    Last edited by sophisticles; 10 June 2024, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                      I assume there had to be an initial investor, someone that put up some start up capital and that is hoping to see a return.,
                      Once again, System76 is a privately-owned company. Carl started the business 19 years ago. He's been deeply involved with COSMIC's design and development since the very beginning. You can see his interview on why COSMIC is being created, and also see him at LinuxFest Northwest demoing COSMIC.

Surely you do not believe that business owners only care about profit for profit sake. Do you not have any pride in the works you create? Or desire to create? I've already tried to explain this before, but you don't seem to comprehend that people can be more motivated by passion than profit.

It will hurt System76, but let's think positive
                      No, COSMIC is already showing excellent results, which will be good for System76's business in the long run. COSMIC fixes many of the technical and design concerns that customers have had issues with in GNOME. Our skill and expertise can now be put to good use to create the ideal desktop that our customers want to use. You think it's a bad thing that other distributions are packaging COSMIC, but this results in collaboration that benefits the quality of our code and attracts more developers to the platform.

I was also under the impression that COSMIC originated as the DE for Redox, or more accurately share the code base.
                      No, it is the exact opposite. COSMIC originated as a set of gnome-shell extensions for Pop!_OS, until the collective decision was made to develop a new Wayland-based desktop environment with smithay and iced. Orbital is the DE of Redox, and it will be replaced by COSMIC once Redox is capable of running a Wayland compositor. Orbital is not a Wayland compositor, and therefore does not share any code with COSMIC.

I thought you said that System76's upper management were the people that created Redox; is this not the case?
                      No. Redox was not created by System76's "upper management". It was created by Jeremy, and its development predates employment at System76. He was developing this in high school, and upon learning of Rust while it was still in alpha, he rewrote it in Rust and decided to create an entire OS entirely in Rust.
                      Last edited by mmstick; 12 June 2024, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X