NetBSD On The State & Future Of X.Org/X11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sevard View Post
    Only in gaming community. In generic PCs it's rather Intel or maybe AMD. There are many more iGPUs than dGPUs out there.
    Market cap ≠ popularity. The topic was "big boys with money" wasn't it? Nvidia is like the 3rd richest company on the planet.

Comment

• Originally posted by reba View Post

A Wayland window-stacking compositor. Contribute to labwc/labwc development by creating an account on GitHub.

labwc is pretty close to Openbox, which I learned to enjoy on #!
      Did you try it? Is it usable? I'd be happy to give it a try, but currently I'm not in the state to start playing around with half written stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
        I play games all the time on Plasma/Wayland and there is no latency that I can notice.
        Your post is literally completely worthless, then.

Who the fuck knows how low your standards are? Maybe you have grandpa 500ms reaction time.

The fact you say you don't notice leads me to believe you are somewhere in that ballpark.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
          If you find Wayland unusable (yeah we know you said million times already), use X11. What is stopping you?
          I am. Who said anything is stopping me?

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
          If you need to repeat this a million times, you know, it means nobody cares what you say. Who is switching to Arcan? RedHat? Or just you? Please do so, and get lost.
          I won't. At least not until all of your Wayland puppets stop posting anything about how "it works for them". Tough luck you can't disable that "downvote" button huh. Can't stand facts?

So you get lost first.

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
          The feature set is definitely enough for Wayland to do what I need/want.
          But I don't care whatsoever about what you need. I care about what I need, and that's what I post about.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkonix View Post
            For the love of goodness, never ever say CP/M next to GUI! Are you trying to invoke demons?
            GSX/GEM, no? But then again, I never actually used CP/M, so...
            You could also chalk it up to me writing that response before my morning coffee kicked in XD

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              I am. Who said anything is stopping me?

I won't. At least not until all of your Wayland puppets stop posting anything about how "it works for them". Tough luck you can't disable that "downvote" button huh. Can't stand facts?

So you get lost first.

But I don't care whatsoever about what you need. I care about what I need, and that's what I post about.
              There you go then, "Wayland works great". This is at least from someone who uses it. Not from a troll who does not even use it.

And, there is no mouse latency, none. How would you know if you don't use it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Market cap ≠ popularity. The topic was "big boys with money" wasn't it? Nvidia is like the 3rd richest company on the planet.
                It doesn't matter. Money is in people and companies which use Linux, not in companies that make components.
                Last edited by Sevard; 05 May 2024, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by moonwalker View Post
                  my argument of macOS being the most widely used UNIX variant still stands
                  MacOS isn't a contemporary UNIX variant. The only OS certified to meet the current UNIX definition is AIX, period. If you write an application for UNIX as it is defined today, it will not be guaranteed to run on any MacOS version, as MacOS does not meet the criteria for certification.
                  It's not an issue of payment since Apple do pay regularly for an older certification.
                  UNIX is a dead concept.

Comment

• Its funny watching the anti-Wayland penguins scurry about trying to invent strawmen in a vain attempt to justify their newfound penchant for grey-beard-ness. It's probably not so new though. I'm guessing most of them were also strongly against systemd and pulse (which may not have been the greatest, but pipewire which is would not exist without pulse).

There is some small sliver of our community that hates progress. They spew the same debunked bs talking points over and over again. X11 is dead as it is not a maintained codebase. You are free to keep right on using it just as we are free to move on from it.

Get over it already.

Comment

• Originally posted by User29 View Post

Did you try it? Is it usable? I'd be happy to give it a try, but currently I'm not in the state to start playing around with half written stuff.
                      labwc is my daily driver and only desktop environment for several months now.

I initially "dual booted" it with Plasma but like it goes I chose Plasma less and less with time until it's just an installed package with no usage anymore. My current system does not have the Plasma desktop installed but I do use many of the KDE applications in my labwc like Dolphin, Okular or Kolourpaint, printing and scanning just to name a few.

As you mentioned Openbox, labwc is just one component and you have to add several more for a complete desktop experience.

From the top of my head: waybar, dunst, swaybg, swaylock, wlopm, fuzzel, foot, kde-polkit-agent, several xdg-desktop portals.
                      Their README helps in setting things up in no time.

Then your usual productivity software and niceties like firefox, libreoffice, docker, rustup, mangohud, etc.

It takes a bit of tinkering but that's part of the fun because you can make it exactly like you want it to and there are so many alternatives.

Linux gaming works, wine Cyberpunk works, Nvidia works, Obs Studio works, video conferencing works, multi monitor works, Virtualbox works, ...
                      Last edited by reba; 05 May 2024, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X