Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MidnightBSD 3.0 Available With Many Software Updates & Fixes

Phoronix: MidnightBSD 3.0 Available With Many Software Updates & Fixes

MidnightBSD as the desktop-focused OS forked from FreeBSD and relying on the Xfce desktop environment by default is out with its big MidnightBSD 3.0 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought that headline was funny in an ironic sort of way because I don't think I've ever read a headline that said something like "KDE 6.1 Now Available with Many Software Downgrades and Bugs Introduced"

In case you need some ammo for next week

Comment

FreeBSD 12?

Anecdotally, my experience with 12.x has been rather poor. 13.x has been much less painful for me re. Linux DRI/DRM subsystem and AMD GPU support in general.

Not to mention that FreeBSD 13.2 is right around the corner. Don't know how MidnightBSD is run/curated (and how much dev resource it has), but rebasing on the 13.x series honestly seems a good thing to aim for? But perhaps the choice of 12-STABLE is the equivalent of deriving from the latest Ubuntu LTS in Linux land to avoid too much underlying stack churn?

Comment

MidnightBSD has always seemed insanely niche in an already niche field. It is not binary compatible with FreeBSD since it is a fork like DragonFlyBSD so it misses out on niceties like the Nvidia driver and such. GhostBSD on the other hand, is just a nice gui layer on top of FreeBSD and is essentially the same thing as FreeBSD with a prebuilt MATE or XFCE4 desktop installed on top.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          GhostBSD on the other hand, is just a nice gui layer on top of FreeBSD and is essentially the same thing as FreeBSD with a prebuilt MATE or XFCE4 desktop installed on top.
          MidnightBSD and vanilla FreeBSD provide encryption during the installation process while GhostBSD still doesn't. That's a non-starter for privacy-conscious folks.

Comment

Working...
          X