helloSystem 0.8 Released As macOS Inspired FreeBSD Desktop OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Agreed. This portion of the Hackintosh crowd (and I think its the largest, BTW) will buy an authentic Mac once the option is gone. Hackintoshes only really became a thing once the Intel based Mac came into existence. It was almost impossible in the Mac PPC days. It'll be a lot more difficult in the ARM-only Mac days that are coming soon.
    It was impossible no one had compatible PPC machine to run it on. It was only possible to do it with development versions of Tiger 10.4 that contained the universal binaries for PPC/Intel. I got to using it with the Leopard release as luck would have it I had picked up a couple of Tiger PPC machines I sold off after coming to the conclusion they were under powered junk compared to Intel machines. Made a tidy profit on them and bought the parts for a nice new Linux box. Liked the OS but even with a dual powered G4 they were loud as hell and not up to a x86 machine. Then leopard came out and the hackintosh became a viable option, the motherboard I had purchased was the exact same model Apple used to develop it on. That steaming pile of dung KDE 4 came out around that time and that was it for me and linux on desktop for the next thirteen years I went hackintosh with my machines. Gave up on it 15 months ago after yet another dead OS due to Apple upgrade on past it prime still supposedly supported OS version. The second time with consecutive versions of the OS it happened to me due to I think their deliberate crippling of the OS to force an upgrade. Anyway enough of memory lane I am back on KDE now and really liking the system they have managed to put together, I had used them since the pre 1.0 version days when ditching the Gnome for it.
    Last edited by redgreen925; 21 January 2023, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I like their list of things they don't like about Macs: https://github.com/helloSystem/hello
      • Because we want all software to be "sideloaded" rather than coming from monopolistic stores https://www.lunduke.com/2021/07/goog...t-sideloading/
      • Because we disagree with phone-home, tracking, activation. Apparently it is not necesseary to activate Macs. Has the NSA ordered this "feature" so that they can track people even better?
      • Because Apple is spying on you. Yes. Despite all the talk about "privacy" there is the DSID
      • Because used Apple devices have to be thrown away if they are "FMIP locked" (which regularly happens with previously company-owned devices) https://twitter.com/TWArecycles/stat...49353335509003
      • Because all the locks and shackles Apple is putting on their devices is filling nothing but the landfills and their pockets https://twitter.com/RDKLInc/status/1477410245131616256
      • ​etc ... etc ... [there's a lot more anti-Mac points, all of them seem pretty agreeable]

I don't like the look or feel or workflow of older (or newer) Macs, but for those who do, this looks pretty interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Edit: Email client screenshot -- this is a first for me seeing this.
        Huh. Looks like an attempt to make a "Thunderbird but without the weight of a XUL UI" (sort of a Qt analogue to Claws Mail) where someone has used Qt's out-of-the-box support for toolbar customization via that grab handle at the top.

...of course, they're all Eudora knock-offs in the end. (Which reminds me. Now that I'm using a retired ARM cube to provide services like DHCP, DNS with DHCP-provided records (i.e. mDNS for things that don't do mDNS), NTP, Win98SE-compatible SMB, and MacOS9-compatible AFP/AppleShare for my Internet-less retro-hobby LAN, I should set up a mail server on it and install Eudora for some more retro-nostalgia... I'll probably start playing around with WebDAV and netboot first though.)

Comment

helloSystem is not inspired by modern macOs, but mostly by older mac's systems. airyxOS is inspired by modern macOs

Comment

I didn't know about helloSystem but wow this looks good:

Some technologies are not wanted in this project because they are too complex or deemed aesthetically unpleasant.
            • Client side window decorations
            • Menus hidden behind Hamburger icons
            And much more.

Comment

You hear about it a lot when it comes to fonts/font rendering.
              I suspect this one is also a matter of taste and habit. I have to use a bit MacOS once in a while and I find their font rendering absolutely atrocious, being exceedingly blurry. It gives me the impression my sight is slightly off-focus. I guess if I were used to it, it would not be all that bad.

Comment

For right now they don't mean as much, but when the day comes that Apple no longer offers an x86 version of MacOS, a certain percentage of those Hackintosh people aren't going to buy a Mac. They're going to continue using open source software.

If these people wanted Windows, they wouldn't be working as hard as they can to stay off of Windows. Having distros(Linux or BSD) that look as exact as MacOS as they can be is going to bring in a chunk of that crowd.
                they'll buy M-based arm macs, if they haven't done so already.

distros looking like macos will do nothing, just like distros looking like windows did nothing. os look doesn't matter, functionality and compatibility does.

does it run current macos apps? no? then it's useless.

Comment

Agreed. This portion of the Hackintosh crowd (and I think its the largest, BTW) will buy an authentic Mac once the option is gone. Hackintoshes only really became a thing once the Intel based Mac came into existence. It was almost impossible in the Mac PPC days. It'll be a lot more difficult in the ARM-only Mac days that are coming soon.

I'm not talking about them.
                  Probably not as much as with the Intel based ones, but I expect to see some on Qualcom chip based hackintoshes. As someone else said, you can get a mini for $600 us. So the cost savings/performance options won't be there, ability to buy parts and assemble faster systems. Right now Apple makes the fastest arm consumer chips. Could see a future RPi that people are putting macOS on though.

Comment

Still better than macOS which is a joke when comes to performance.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Looks like shitty Mac OS X from 2001. 🤮️
                      reminds me far more of Gnome 2.x

Comment

Working...
                      X