Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helloSystem 0.8 Released As macOS Inspired FreeBSD Desktop OS

Phoronix: helloSystem 0.8 Released As macOS Inspired FreeBSD Desktop OS

Following the demise of PC-BSD/TrueOS, the most compelling BSD-based desktop operating system with a pleasant out-of-the-box user experience is helloSystem. The helloSystem OS has been aiming to be the macOS of the BSDs and for the past few years has been building a macOS-inspired desktop atop FreeBSD. Out today is helloSystem 0.8 as their newest version built atop FreeBSD 13.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For right now they don't mean as much, but when the day comes that Apple no longer offers an x86 version of MacOS, a certain percentage of those Hackintosh people aren't going to buy a Mac. They're going to continue using open source software.

If these people wanted Windows, they wouldn't be working as hard as they can to stay off of Windows. Having distros(Linux or BSD) that look as exact as MacOS as they can be is going to bring in a chunk of that crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      For right now they don't mean as much, but when the day comes that Apple no longer offers an x86 version of MacOS, a certain percentage of those Hackintosh people aren't going to buy a Mac. They're going to continue using open source software.

If these people wanted Windows, they wouldn't be working as hard as they can to stay off of Windows. Having distros(Linux or BSD) that look as exact as MacOS as they can be is going to bring in a chunk of that crowd.
      What makes you so sure about that? A lot of Hackintosh users are not using macOS because they hate Windows but they are using macOS because they want to use macOS with certain software. If some open source OS with macOS like GUI would be fitting for them, they would already use it and don't bother with Hackintosh that can take a lot of time to be useful. Also if those users are using proprietary software like Photoshop etc. (and a lot of them does) then open source OS won't be good replacement for them. Perhaps it's more likely that they will return to Windows or buy a Mac instead of playing with Linux or BSD.

Comment

MacOS isn't open source, btw. It's got open source elements but that doesn't make it open source. Maybe Hackintosh users are using some open source software, but has nothing to do with the OS itself.

I don't know what motivates all Hackintosh users, but I doubt there will be many motivated to use Linux or BSD just because Apple is eventually dropping support for x86 systems even if someone puts a MacOS-like UI on them. It's not just the UI that makes MacOS. It's like putting CDE on AIX or Solaris. That doesn't make either one HP-UX. (HP's Vue is CDE's direct ancestor and it ran on HP-UX on PA-RISC). They all have very different UX from each other despite having similar UI elements.

I have a feeling that most Hackintosh users use MacOS on non-Apple hardware simply because they can and they like the experience, not because of any particular hate of Microsoft or love for Apple. Apple has lowered the price on the Mac Minis to the point that Hackintoshes aren't a price issue any more. You probably can't put together a decent Hackintosh from disparate parts for less than $600 right now (the new Mini base is $599).

Comment

If they want to pursue the classic paradigms, I think it's worth having someone in the space exploring "what could be"

But as for applications -- I agree with ^ the main draw of MacOS is specific tools -- Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Affinity Photo, Garage Band and other stuff -- Linux and BSD simply don't have those and I wouldn't put much faith in Darling to get on the Level of WINE when there commits are 4k vs 162k.

I really don't understand the BSD and default apps like Browser and Email seem odd. Only a nerd like us would even know what half this stuff is, and it's debatable that the average person would feel more comfortable with other out of box tooling.

Sane defaults DO matter.

Edit: Email client screenshot -- this is a first for me seeing this.

Comment

I used Hackintosh long time ago because I needed it - developing iOS apps. And I love macOS for the simplicity of GUI apps development, especially when SwiftUI was released. When I stopped being an iOS developer i happily switched to Linux. All hackintoshers use macOS because of iOS development or using exclusive Apple software like Final Cut Pro. I even know a person who buys for years generic PC and hacks macOS on it to do some video editing - only because even hacked mac is much more predictable and stable than Windows. So that statement about "open source software" is not true.

Comment

Looks like shitty Mac OS X from 2001. 🤮️

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                What makes you so sure about that? A lot of Hackintosh users are not using macOS because they hate Windows but they are using macOS because they want to use macOS with certain software.
                Agreed. This portion of the Hackintosh crowd (and I think its the largest, BTW) will buy an authentic Mac once the option is gone. Hackintoshes only really became a thing once the Intel based Mac came into existence. It was almost impossible in the Mac PPC days. It'll be a lot more difficult in the ARM-only Mac days that are coming soon.

I'm not talking about them.

If some open source OS with macOS like GUI would be fitting for them, they would already use it and don't bother with Hackintosh that can take a lot of time to be useful.
                I don't think so. I personally was never impressed with Mac OS, but most of the people who I've seen that want to use it, they REALLY want to use it and are impressed by it. They usually look at Linux as second rate, actually third rate. I won't lie, in some ways, Linux is still second rate. They have a point, particularly in years past. You hear about it a lot when it comes to fonts/font rendering. Valve I think is going to be the key to bringing Linux to first rate. At this point we're almost there, really.

This is the "chunk" of the crowd I'm mostly talking about. Many of them will come to Linux because it's much, much easier. Especially if it visually looks like a Mac out of the box. In a few years when Hackintoshes become impossible on new Mac OS releases, they'll have a choice. Buy a real Mac, get on the Windows bandwagon, or use a Linux that looks just like Mac.

This is a non-paying Mac crowd. If they were going to buy a Mac, they would save themselves the headache. They'd already have a real Mac. Why don't they have one now? They're choosing specifically not to have one. Some of them want upgrade options, some of them want to save money, some of them are tinkerers, or any of other similar reasons.

Also if those users are using proprietary software like Photoshop etc. (and a lot of them does) then open source OS won't be good replacement for them. Perhaps it's more likely that they will return to Windows or buy a Mac instead of playing with Linux or BSD.
                Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                  MacOS isn't open source, btw.
                  I meant some of the softwares used to create Hackintoshes, sorry I didn't clarify that very well.

Comment

Many people using computers also use iPhones and iPads which means they'll prefer macOS for the integration and ecosystem benefits. I seriously doubt this can be provided by helloSystem which probably makes it more of an easy way to freebsd with a pre-installed GUI.

Comment

Working...
                    X