Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenIndiana Hipster 2022.10 Released With Updates For This OpenSolaris-Derived OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post

Well, they've got ZFS deeply integrated. Maybe of interest are Zones and some other advanced features, dunno, I've no need for it myself. Maybe nowadays for Linux is a better updated ZFS (ZoL) but less well integrated. I have OmniOS installed on one machine, just for storage/backups, os installation was a breeze.
    Zones were the first, but now FreeBSD and Linux have the same feature (and Windows too by the way). ZFS was well integrated but I don't see it as something worry changing platforms for

Leave a comment:

• evert_mouw
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

The name is terrible but I think the biggest hurdle for OpenIndiana's adoption was its deliberately GPL-incompatible licence. Plus the fact that from a FOSS point of view, it always felt like a solution looking for a problem. For those who want open source Unix, there are the BSDs, for everyone else there is Linux, and OpenIndiana doesn't seem to offer any compelling feature against those more established players.
    Well, they've got ZFS deeply integrated. Maybe of interest are Zones and some other advanced features, dunno, I've no need for it myself. Maybe nowadays for Linux is a better updated ZFS (ZoL) but less well integrated. I have OmniOS installed on one machine, just for storage/backups, os installation was a breeze.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by Beherit View Post

I wouldn't say Oracle really killed OpenSolaris, rather that it evolved into OpenIndiana. What really did (mostly) kill OpenIndiana is the idiot who thought it was a cool/good/awesome idea to name it Hipster. Most people would, rightfully, avoid having anything to do with hipsters. It's gotta be one of the worst software name choices in history. One of the most predictable jokes in this forum is the name of ReiserFS whenever it's mentioned, and that the current devs don't rebrand it into something better. Same goes for OpenIndiana Hipster.

A shame really, a really missed opportunity for some good competition to Linux and the BSD's. 10 years ago.
    The name is terrible but I think the biggest hurdle for OpenIndiana's adoption was its deliberately GPL-incompatible licence. Plus the fact that from a FOSS point of view, it always felt like a solution looking for a problem. For those who want open source Unix, there are the BSDs, for everyone else there is Linux, and OpenIndiana doesn't seem to offer any compelling feature against those more established players.

Leave a comment:

• evert_mouw
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
    Not very much widely used but still interesting project and it's a shame that Oracle killed OpenSolaris and Solaris turned into completely proprietary OS again. As far I know OpenIndiana (that can be considered as direct successor of the OpenSolaris as it is based on illumos) is the only free Unix OS that is descendant of System V. Most free Unix and Unix like OS are descendants of BSD (like obviously Free/Net/Open/Dragonfly BSD or Darwin that is open source core of Apple operating systems) or independent (like Minix or Linux). System V family operating systems were mostly proprietary.
    There's also OmniOS (for servers) and SmartOS (same).

Leave a comment:

• some_canuck
    replied
    I wonder if they will ever support wayland...

Leave a comment:

• Beherit
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
    Not very much widely used but still interesting project and it's a shame that Oracle killed OpenSolaris and Solaris turned into completely proprietary OS again. As far I know OpenIndiana (that can be considered as direct successor of the OpenSolaris as it is based on illumos) is the only free Unix OS that is descendant of System V. Most free Unix and Unix like OS are descendants of BSD (like obviously Free/Net/Open/Dragonfly BSD or Darwin that is open source core of Apple operating systems) or independent (like Minix or Linux). System V family operating systems were mostly proprietary.
    I wouldn't say Oracle really killed OpenSolaris, rather that it evolved into OpenIndiana. What really did (mostly) kill OpenIndiana is the idiot who thought it was a cool/good/awesome idea to name it Hipster. Most people would, rightfully, avoid having anything to do with hipsters. It's gotta be one of the worst software name choices in history. One of the most predictable jokes in this forum is the name of ReiserFS whenever it's mentioned, and that the current devs don't rebrand it into something better. Same goes for OpenIndiana Hipster.

A shame really, a really missed opportunity for some good competition to Linux and the BSD's. 10 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    I've always wanted to run either OpenIndiana or Triblex as a daily driver just to see how it is. I remember using openSolaris in university around 2012 and being impressed with it but it was running so slow on our workstations back then.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PluMGMK
    replied
    Speaking of typos…
    MATE 1.26 for its default deskotp environment

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    In unrelated news an FOSS hosting project, FOSSHUB, has ceased to exist:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33848529
    First of all, you are in the wrong thread. I suggest you create a new thread for it.

Second, read a bit more carefully. It's FossHost, not FossHub. The latter is still alive and doing well.
    I hope that typo wasn't intentional.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X