Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust-Written Redox OS 0.8 Released With i686 Support, Audio & Multi-Display Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    It's stupid they support 32bit hardware in a modern operating system aimed at innovation, they are wasting efforts instead improving essential hardware support such as USB.

I had high hopes in RedoxOS, but it seems it will end as ReactOS. An eternal experiment, to say the least.
    I dont think it will ever be as bad as ReactOS... ReactOS is fundamentally held back by its need to fully replicate an existing OS that is basically 99.9% closed source and undocumented. RedoxOS has no such restriction.

Ironically supporting 32bit was probably much easier than supporting USB as it is largely some code adjustments and compiler flags. A USB stack on the other hand is a mountain to climb and its largely all or nothing. My guess is 32bit support was one of the dev's relaxation side quests... and it is still of some worth for ultra-low powered devices.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      RedoxOS has me excited! They are designing the OS around some really unique paradigms that on the surface at least look to take the best of POSIX and dump the parts that no longer make sense! Its also being built as a unified experience from low level to graphics. Sure they may have bitten of to much innovation all at once and none of it will matter much without a way to get solid hardware support working.

All that said, they have made really impressive progress!
      I like too that they're not being dogmatic and willing to think OOTB. I think the OS will achieve all of its goals but it will stay a nice OS because nobody will really care, like wobbly windows.

Comment

I dont think it will ever be as bad as ReactOS... ReactOS is fundamentally held back by its need to fully replicate an existing OS that is basically 99.9% closed source and undocumented. RedoxOS has no such restriction.
        That's a such non-point argument. One could say, react is having a goal to make a replication of a real and proven os, while redux? What goal does it have beside "it's rust"

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

That's a such non-point argument. One could say, react is having a goal to make a replication of a real and proven os, while redux? What goal does it have beside "it's rust"
          That is such a non-informed response.

Suggested reading:
          1. https://doc.redox-os.org/book/ch01-03-our-goals.html
          2. https://doc.redox-os.org/book/ch01-05-why-redox.html
          3. https://doc.redox-os.org/book/ch01-04-philosophy.html
          In the end it doesn't really matter. Both OSs have admirable goals. I have followed ReactOS for many years now and it still has many years to go before even reaching their stated WIndows XP level of compatibility. RedoxOS is not going to be encumbered by any of that. They will however 100% have the hardware compatibility issues that took Linux decades to overcome, unless they can come up with some sort of "shim" design to maybe load Linux driver modules... it would be ugly as sin and I am sure an angel would loose its wings over it, but it would at least help with the driver side of things.

Comment

Intel was throwing money at BeOS back in the day, and it still didn't make it. That's all I can think about whenever I hear about yet another new OS.

Comment

That is such a non-informed response.

Suggested reading
              "your dumb" is not an argument, quoting the guy who made the claim is not convincing.

ok, let's see what we got,
              • general computing is not a problem to solve, it's already done by everyone and a handful of them are already succeed.
              • they are not trying to reinvent everything? sounds like someone was high on copium writing that
              • and the rest? technicality shouldn't be treated as goals, telling people what MIT license is not an explanation to their project's philosophy either
              and i feel stupid to respond to you. i shouldn't have wasted time in here

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

The problem with that... is it because just another almost unix that would be incompatible enough to be annoying.

And a better Unix was already written as Plan9... so frankly you gotta either do better than Plan9 or you aren't truely trying to one up unix you are just riding on its coat tails.
                The better OS's are always the ones that never got finished. Plan9, CP/M, Longhorn....

Practically every excuse was backwards compatibility - at the cost of real innovation.

Ditto for IA-64.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Isn't the point of it being coded in Rust is because it's supposed to be memory-safe? Name another OS that can say that.

Comment

Hardware support is always, ALWAYS going to be the big speedbump to any OS development especially given the license, intellectual property, and complexity issues with existing hardware. It'd probably be easier to just design a new form of computer from scratch that's tailored to the function that you want. FPGA's have helped make this a viable option.

Comment

It’s MIT licensed, so it’s not going anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X