X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Sure, if you never want to update your OS; you're more than welcome to not do so.
    If there is one OS that I would feel safest not ever upgrading it would be OpenBSD, though bugs are still discovered in it they are most frequently hard crash the system exploits and not privilege escalation bugs.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Sure, if you never want to update your OS; you're more than welcome to not do so.
    No, not "never update", never upgrade. There's nothing in the OpenBSD distribution that couldn't be an ordinary package, if their package manager was capable. I have a living Arch install that is seven years old.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied

I didn't mix up any terms. "current" meaning what has spanned from -current, to 7.2 and now back to -current, not just "-current".

7.2 is fine, that's what you said you were using. Just wondering if it's actually attaching or not and if any errors.
    Alright. I was just making sure since some people don't realize that "current" has a specific meaning with the *BSD release cycles.

Turns out I was wrong. I was looking at "AMD" since for years that's what these GPUs have been called. I should have been looking for "ATI" instead *groan*. I am actually getting unknown devices, but it seems it's part of the AMD chipset rather than the video card and trying to find the specific device ID tied to which part in the computer was proving difficult.

Anyway, I went ahead and installed the system and got a full dmesg and dump and I'll find out what's not attaching or is missing drivers later. Then fired up X to make sure things were functional and got the basic WM. GLXGears runs fine at least. I'll amend my original post.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Current or 7.2? There's a difference. Don't mix terms like that in the BSD world.
    I didn't mix up any terms. "current" meaning what has spanned from -current, to 7.2 and now back to -current, not just "-current".

7.2 is fine, that's what you said you were using. Just wondering if it's actually attaching or not and if any errors.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied

The current DRM code is from 5.15.69. That board should be supported. Support was added in the 5.15.14 sync with 7.1. The firmware package was updated 2 releases ago.

Providing a dmesg and pcidump -v would be useful to determine what the issue is if the amdgpu driver is not attaching or having an issue attaching.​
    Current or 7.2? There's a difference. Don't mix terms like that in the BSD world.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
    What? QEMU Is a LOT more than a simple emulator. You can run windows VMs from linux at near native performance if you pass through a gpu device with vfio-pci. If openbsd actually had kvm support it could do the same.
    90% of it's codebase is about being an emulator. An emulator is not simple, and especially one of QEMU's size and depth. OpenBSD can't have KVM support as it's GPL.

Leave a comment:

• partcyborg
    replied

QEMU is an emulator. Of course it is.
    What? QEMU Is a LOT more than a simple emulator. You can run windows VMs from linux at near native performance if you pass through a gpu device with vfio-pci. If openbsd actually had kvm support it could do the same.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    Well, the simpler and easier thing is not having system upgrades at all; but second to that, sysupgrade is great.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    As of today (Oct 22, 2022), AMD RX 6650XT cards are unsupported in OpenBSD 7.2. Found out that the driver they import from Linux is still too old to properly support them. It turns up as unknown AMD device in the boot info scroll. Ah well. It will be in time as the the Linux driver eventually trickles down to the BSDs.

I didn't buy it for OpenBSD anyway. That's pretty much swatting a fly with a nuke. I got it for a good price as an upgrade. I'm happy with it since I only use OpenBSD to dabble with. Windows and Mint (21) support it very well so long as you make sure your Linux-firmware package is up-to-date.
    The current DRM code is from 5.15.69. That board should be supported. Support was added in the 5.15.14 sync with 7.1. The firmware package was updated 2 releases ago.

dimgrey cavefish / navi 23 (gfx1032)
    Pro W6600, Pro W6600M, RX 6600, RX 6600 XT, RX 6600M,
    RX 6600S, RX 6650M, RX 6650M XT, RX 6700S, RX 6800S
    Providing a dmesg and pcidump -v would be useful to determine what the issue is if the amdgpu driver is not attaching or having an issue attaching.​
    Last edited by brad0; 22 October 2022, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    Upgrading OpenBSD is a breeze, never seen anything simpler and easier!
    Well, the simpler and easier thing is not having system upgrades at all; but second to that, sysupgrade is great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X