Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 14.0 Planned For Release Next July

Phoronix: FreeBSD 14.0 Planned For Release Next July

The FreeBSD release engineering team has published their initial release plans for FreeBSD 14.0 as well as follow-on FreeBSD 13.2 and 12.4 releases for the current stable series of this BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly, the difference between *BSD and Linux is getting larger and larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
      I think the fact that BSD is remaining close to UNIX is a good thing. If GNU becomes a mess and doesn't pan out, at least there is still a place for us old guys.

Also, FreeBSD has so many LinuxKPI driver layers, it is technically closer to Linux than it was 5 years ago. As for OpenBSD, I honestly don't know how the few Xenocara developers are doing such a fantastic job at keeping up with the display stack alone.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 25 August 2022, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
        I feel like the scene in Star Wars 3 where Padme tells Anakin he is breaking her heart and going down a path he can't follow. I used to love Linux. Right up through about Debian 7 maybe as far as Ubuntu 14.04 but lately it has become so corporate and gnome focused. I much prefer the elegance of OpenBSD or even FreeBSD to Linux nowadays. Maybe Slackware or Devuran would be a good Linux distro for me but I just don't dig Linux anymore same as I don't dig Windows since Windows 7. I find myself more excited about OpenBSD 7.2 in October and NetBSD 10 whenever and FreeBSD 14.0 next July than the Linux 6.x series kernels.

Comment

Dive into the kernel code and you might be hard-pressed to call FreeBSD elegant. OpenBSD is simple and understandable and explicit, and I love that, however Linux and its corporate support have netted innumerable hardware compatibilities and performance optimizations that nothing else can parallel in the open-source world. For a proper desktop, it pains me to say, but *BSD is dying.​

And for building things upon, look at some of the insane numbers that `io_uring` currently offers as just one example - and look at that syscall continually demolishing its own insane numbers week after week with further optimizations. I really hate that we've come to this point, but *BSD doesn't have a ton to offer in the real world outside of licensing and few very specific (slowly disappearing) use cases that it still excels at.

If you want to learn OS development, mind you, the *BSD ecosystem is still fantastic, however even as big as Linux is, it's pretty damn approachable nowadays.

That said, absolutely nothing even comes close to OpenBSD's world-class documentation. It's the only platform where I don't need to use Google when I want to do something or know how something works.
          Last edited by DominoTree; 26 August 2022, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Did someone say *BSD is dying?

freebsd-beastie-this-is-fine-800x450.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

FreeBSD Myth I

FreeBSD is dying. I've been hearing this for about 10 years. And yet, the FreeBSD Foundation says they grow each year. I have no reason to disbelieve them, but if you want to prove they are wrong on this, go ahead.

FreeBSD Myth II

FreeBSD has no good desktop. Have you tried GhostBSD? Granted that Mate is a bit stale, but it works very well. I use helloSystem as my daily computer. It's in beta, but still better than many other desktop environments I've tried.

I do still use Linux for one thing - I use Guitarix on UbuntuStudio, proably the best environment for this purpose in the Linux world. But only until I can afford a cheap mac so I can switch to GarageBand - don't get me started on the nightmare that is creating music in Linux.​

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post
                FreeBSD is dying. I've been hearing this for about 10 years. And yet, the FreeBSD Foundation says they grow each year. I have no reason to disbelieve them, but if you want to prove they are wrong on this, go ahead.
                Earliest I found was in 2002. I think it even goes back further but searching slashdot and the old internet has become shockingly bad these days - not as easy as it once was to do internet archaeology.
                freebsd-bsd-is-dying-kreskin-early-instance-2002.png

Comment

Working...
                X