Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD Developers Continue Work On Shortening Boot Time, Improving WiFi Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Good thing for root on ZFS support in FreeBSD then Nearly impossible to corrupt a ZFS pool with a power failure and I've lived in some places with some sorry power.
    The filesystem may not get corrupted (AFAIK any log structured filesystem is robust against that) but you can still lose unwritten/partially-written data which is problematic enough.

Comment

Is there any *nix operating system that 100% focuses on being a server OS and does not cave into any of these desktop-isms? It preferably would not have silly things such as wireless drivers which have nothing to do with running a server. Absolutely no graphical ports/packages would be offered and any attempt to suggest it would result in immediate shut down of the request. Having a stable and reliable system with no desktop users would be a dream. Is there any such thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Leaky View Post
        Is there any *nix operating system that 100% focuses on being a server OS and does not cave into any of these desktop-isms? It preferably would not have silly things such as wireless drivers which have nothing to do with running a server. Absolutely no graphical ports/packages would be offered and any attempt to suggest it would result in immediate shut down of the request. Having a stable and reliable system with no desktop users would be a dream. Is there any such thing?
        I don't think such an OS exists and here is why: the developers will want to run said OS as a desktop/workstation. FreeBSD is about as close as you are gonna get. No xorg by default, KMS graphics drivers only available as packages, custom kernel support to remove wifi drivers if one wishes, etc. I run FreeBSD as a workstation but it is definitely more set up as a server OS. Even old server OS standbys like CentOS 7 support a gui if one wants it though it isn't installed by default. Maybe there is an Illumos distro the is server only with all workstation components stripped out?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Leaky View Post
          Just build a Linux with Buildroot with everything you don't need disabled. I'm procrastinating setting one like what you describe for my Raspberry to run a few lightweight services.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            Good thing for root on ZFS support in FreeBSD then Nearly impossible to corrupt a ZFS pool with a power failure and I've lived in some places with some sorry power.
            Haven't gotten shutdown-stalling on FreeBSD but it seems rather occasional thing on Linuces I use.

Comment

I look forward for the better Frame Laptop support...

Comment

Working...
              X