Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BeOS-Inspired Haiku Makes Progress On Driver Porting, Plans For Usable RISC-V Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeOS-Inspired Haiku Makes Progress On Driver Porting, Plans For Usable RISC-V Images

Phoronix: BeOS-Inspired Haiku Makes Progress On Driver Porting, Plans For Usable RISC-V Images

The Haiku open-source operating system project building off the success of BeOS continues steadily improving its hardware support and making other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like Haiku. It is very desktop-oriented, and can easily work together with Linux servers. The filesystem is interesting with its database-like capabilities, parallel computing (multicore) is in their basic design / APIs, the community is friendly and practical, and even though they don't officially endorse The UNIX Way, they seem to better make use of the UNIX philosophy (which is not the same as POSIX... I have to include this for the ignorant) than many modern Linux distributions. Originally BeOS was a "multimedia OS" and who knows if there will be a year of the Haiku desktop ;-)

Comment

Looking forward to a Haiku@Rpi setup !

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post
        and even though they don't officially endorse The UNIX Way, they seem to better make use of the UNIX philosophy (which is not the same as POSIX... I have to include this for the ignorant) than many modern Linux distributions.
        In which way? Can you explain further?

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

In which way? Can you explain further?
          Sure. Principles according to this (older) presentation:
          • KISS: Keep It Smart and Simple
          • Don't do everything; do one thing and be good at it.
          • Modular yet Extensible.
          Further discussion e.g. here.

Note that I state that UNIX philosophy != POSIX. Different beasts. POSIX is more like an implementation of said philosophy. I suspect that Haiku somewhat follows such a modular philosophy with clean interfaces, but ultimately it's more about a nice user experience and fun.

Modern Linux distributions are moving away from both POSIX (good thing probably with new API kernel calls better utilizing modern hardware) and moving away from the UNIX philosophy (SystemD becoming a jack of all trades, mixed feelings about that.) The best implementation of the UNIX philosophy might be in the non-UNIX Plan9.

Comment

(...) who knows if there will be a year of the Haiku desktop ;-)
            Only with the Linux kernel it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
              Only with the Linux kernel it will happen.
              It would be a nice but unlikely marriage, but I'm not deep into it.

The long-awaited Haiku OS beta release has arrived. This BeOS-inspired operating system may finally be ready for daily use.

Comment

Whenever you choose
                the lesser of two evils
                you still choose evil

Wait, this isn't that kind of Haiku thread is it?

Sure. Principles according to this (older) presentation:
                • KISS: Keep It Smart and Simple
                • Don't do everything; do one thing and be good at it.
                • Modular yet Extensible.
                Further discussion e.g. here.

Note that I state that UNIX philosophy != POSIX. Different beasts. POSIX is more like an implementation of said philosophy. I suspect that Haiku somewhat follows such a modular philosophy with clean interfaces, but ultimately it's more about a nice user experience and fun.

Modern Linux distributions are moving away from both POSIX (good thing probably with new API kernel calls better utilizing modern hardware) and moving away from the UNIX philosophy (SystemD becoming a jack of all trades, mixed feelings about that.) The best implementation of the UNIX philosophy might be in the non-UNIX Plan9.
                I was taught that KISS stood for Keep It Simple Stupid and it means the person is stupid for making their stuff too complicated. Although sometimes that gets followed too well so we tend to see stuff become too simple like wlroots...anyhoo...

Since your phrase didn't keep it simple enough to, I dunno, be less offensive by not calling someone stupid, I have to mention that yours fully acronyms out to KISAS which, to me, has a certain phonetic sound so I think it needs a couple words added to fill in the blanks...Keep It Super Smart And Super Simple...KISSASS

But, yeah, POSIX, to me who sometimes scripts, is more of a loose guideline to try to follow. I mean, there's a reason why Bashisms and whatnot exist; why nearly every personal script I've ever written has some form of "#!/usr/bin/env zsh" on top due to my usage of non-POSIX Zshisms.

Comment

Now that I've skimmed their release notes:

HaikuPorts
                  QGIS is now in the repositories, and there were version bumps for LibreOffice, WINE, a lot of KDE applications, and both Qt 5 and Qt 6, and plenty more besides.
                  LibreOffice, Wine, and a lot of KDE applications is basically my bare minimum to start with. If they ever get 3d acceleration for AMD GPUs in a good enough shape to fire up Steam in Wine then Linux might be on the chopping block for me. It looks like basically everything else I use and require is there. Yes, games, fun, and relaxation are a requirement I have of an OS. I don't care if I have to yo dawg my game through a couple compat layers to get there as long as it works.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Now that I've skimmed their release notes:

LibreOffice, Wine, and a lot of KDE applications is basically my bare minimum to start with. If they ever get 3d acceleration for AMD GPUs in a good enough shape to fire up Steam in Wine then Linux might be on the chopping block for me. It looks like basically everything else I use and require is there. Yes, games, fun, and relaxation are a requirement I have of an OS. I don't care if I have to yo dawg my game through a couple compat layers to get there as long as it works.
                    I think your requirements just aren't a match for the Haiku project's goals. Fortunately, we already have Linux so they don't have to be. Steam compatible would be a pretty absurd goal.

Comment

Working...
                    X