Genode OS 22.05 Adds WireGuard VPN Support, Linux Device Driver Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS 22.05 Adds WireGuard VPN Support, Linux Device Driver Updates

Phoronix: Genode OS 22.05 Adds WireGuard VPN Support, Linux Device Driver Updates

For ending out the month of May the Genode open-source operating system framework developers published a new feature release of their software as they advance both the framework itself and the Sculpt OS general purpose operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think using Open Source Firmware anywhere in the stack deserves a mention so I'll add it to the comments:

Custom system-control processor (SCP) firmware
    Battery lifetime is one of the most pressing concerns for mobile phones. While exploring the PinePhone hardware, we discovered early on that the key for sophisticated energy management lies in the so-called system control processor (SCP), which is a low-power companion microcontroller that complements the high-performance application processor. The SCP can remain active even if the device is visibly switched off. Surprisingly, even though its designated purpose is rather narrow, the SCP is a freely programmable general-purpose CPU (called AR100) with ultimate access to every corner of the SoC. It can control all peripherals including the modem, and access the entirety of physical memory.

In contrast to most consumer devices, which operate their SCPs with proprietary firmware, the PinePhone gives users the freedom to use an open-source firmware called Crust. Moreover, the Crust developers thoroughly documented their findings of the AR100 limitations and its interplay with the ARM CPU.
    Here's an interesting read for those interested.

Comment

This is one of those projects that I've wanted to check out for a while but haven't made the time to do it yet. Small summer goals...

Comment

Working...
      X