Rust-Written Redox OS 0.7 Released With New Bootloader, RedoxFS Goes CoW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Reminds me of that pick two because you won't get all three saying.

Wait, we get to pick all three here? What's the catch?

Anytime you speak they're all gonna ask when you'll rewrite it in Rust. If you can manage not to commit a murder within the first three weeks of discussing Rust on the Internet you may have a future with the Rust Programming Language.
    Tbh, when you tell people your language is the same as the other language, only more secure, the natural reaction is "why not rewrite?". And just as natural, the first response to that reaction is "return on investment". The trick is moving the discussion past these.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

By this measure the Linux Kernel and Wine would be "guilty" too.

Rust is a very promising language. Basically we have C and C++ which are very powerful but they do have issues. Languages like Java tried to tackle those issues on the cost of performance. But this is the problem why java is non existent in certain fields - its simply slow.

Python nowadays is very usefull to but impractical to write close to hardware code.

With Rust you will have both performance and memory safety plus the syntax already incooperating new concepts which are difficult to set up with C++/C.

IMHO C++ is a still very fine language but the never concepts are making the code almost unreadable if you are not a die hard C++ programmer. C by it self is still solid but lacks a lot of the nice features of modern languages.

The "Rust only" is a kind of paradigm to show what this language is capable of doing. Rust might be the language which is demanded by a lot of devs since years.
      Fast, reliable and secure.
      I believe you are spot-on for all of your points especially with the readability of C++ these days. Sometimes I wonder if C++ is turning into Assembly where one needs a comment per line of code. The worst is when you have to pickup someone else's code...YIKES. I appreciate that the language is evolving, but there are times where it seems the evolution is for the sake of change.

In the last 20+ years, I have lost track of all the new and improved languages that eventually floundered and aged away so I am in the wait-and-see camp when it comes to the long term viability of Rust. The Redox project sure is a good proof-of-concept though to see if it can fulfill the promises.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

By this measure the Linux Kernel and Wine would be "guilty" too.

Rust is a very promising language. Basically we have C and C++ which are very powerful but they do have issues. Languages like Java tried to tackle those issues on the cost of performance. But this is the problem why java is non existent in certain fields - its simply slow.
        The issue with the JVM is not that its slow, in fact in certain places it can beat Rust/C. The issue with JVM is that since it has a GC (garbage collector) you don't have any real control over memory allocation which is a no go for certain types of programs (i.e. kernels/drivers).

Ontop of that the JVM is not really low level, in fact it deliberately abstracts away from low level concerns to make it easier for the programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post

I believe you are spot-on for all of your points especially with the readability of C++ these days. Sometimes I wonder if C++ is turning into Assembly where one needs a comment per line of code. The worst is when you have to pickup someone else's code...YIKES. I appreciate that the language is evolving, but there are times where it seems the evolution is for the sake of change.

In the last 20+ years, I have lost track of all the new and improved languages that eventually floundered and aged away so I am in the wait-and-see camp when it comes to the long term viability of Rust. The Redox project sure is a good proof-of-concept though to see if it can fulfill the promises.
          Programmers (beginners mostly, but not only) have a knee-jerk reaction when looking at a language they're not familiar with: "but it doesn't have feature X!". I believe C++ is a fine example of what happens when a language really does have (almost) all the features you can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
            this focus on "everything written in rust" even the title reminds me of sectarian behaviors
            the rust community is weird, tying everything down to a language, as if the products don't even matter at all, worse than scientologists
            I'm sure the ASM community said the same thing about C back in the 70's

Comment

I wonder if people were this mad when C was new and people started writing kernels in that language too...

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

still in the 80's and early 90's we asm guys definitely saw many of the C people as mindless cult drones

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                  this focus on "everything written in rust" even the title reminds me of sectarian behaviors
                  the rust community is weird, tying everything down to a language, as if the products don't even matter at all, worse than scientologists
                  If everything written in C were rewritten in Rust, IT administrators would have a much, much easier life with security updates.

With that said, I've abandoned the language for my personal projects. I find it to be erratic, particularly with regard to blanket trait implementations (specific issue attached to this post).

Rust is an excellent proving ground for ideas. Ideas for calculating software engineers to use when implementing a more concise language and API for us to finally ditch C for.
                  Sorry for the code dump. This is the smallest code I could make to reproduce the problem. use std::marker::PhantomData; use std::convert::TryFrom; trait Integer {} impl Integer for u8 {} trait Adapter<I: Integer>: TryFrom<I> + Into<I> {}...

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

The issue with the JVM is not that its slow, in fact in certain places it can beat Rust/C. The issue with JVM is that since it has a GC (garbage collector) you don't have any real control over memory allocation which is a no go for certain types of programs (i.e. kernels/drivers).

Ontop of that the JVM is not really low level, in fact it deliberately abstracts away from low level concerns to make it easier for the programmer.
                    With this points you are right - basically afaik Java was never intended to replace low level languages. And yes the GC makes cleanup easy but you will not have control over the memory. I'm not arguing that Java is a typical Highlevel language. But I remember around year 2000+ java was everywhere and you could see uprising embedded projects even up to phones (android). Sure code was quite portable but Android was allways less snappier then iOS or even MS Phones with similiar specs because of this. Over the various releases they have adopted their Java runtime to do more JIT compilation during apk installation because of this very fact.
                    But again C++ is also quite "highlevelish" but gives you more low level control with all its drawbacks. Rust provides similiar features but is way more memory safe. Which is still in the age of smartpoints an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

spot on / its always the same with new stuff

Comment

Working...
                      X