OpenBSD 7.1 Released With Apple Silicon Support "Ready", AMD RDNA2 Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD 7.1 Released With Apple Silicon Support "Ready", AMD RDNA2 Graphics

Phoronix: OpenBSD 7.1 Released With Apple Silicon Support "Ready", AMD RDNA2 Graphics

OpenBSD 7.1 is out this morning as the newest version of this popular, security-minded BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Every release OpenBSD gets better and better until it can't be beat! Seriously since I've started following OpenBSD in the 6.x series around the time sysupgrade came out each release has been better than the one before! I still don't run it as my only operating system, but the day is getting closer and closer with each release.

Comment

When FreeBSD 13.1 comes out at the end of the month it would be nice to see some FreeBSD 13.1 vs OpenBSD 7.1 benchmarks. Even better if it is on the same hardware as the last *BSD vs Linux article at the beginning of the year to see the percent improvements in the new versions.

Comment

Seems like they've just yoinked a bunch of the stuff from Asahi. Nice to see Asahi's code and ideas getting around. These improvements benefit everyone.

Comment

wouldn't have expected any Openbsd support for this platform in that short time span.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            Every release OpenBSD gets better and better until it can't be beat! Seriously since I've started following OpenBSD in the 6.x series around the time sysupgrade came out each release has been better than the one before! I still don't run it as my only operating system, but the day is getting closer and closer with each release.
            And yet they still don't have TRIM support.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
              Seems like they've just yoinked a bunch of the stuff from Asahi. Nice to see Asahi's code and ideas getting around. These improvements benefit everyone.
              Rather than "yoinking" it, they helped contribute! One of the Asahi project members is specifically focused on BSD support.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

And yet they still don't have TRIM support.
                Or spectre variant 1 mitigations. None of the BSDs do.
                And before anyone asks, no, disabling hyperthreading does nothing about spectre v1.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Or spectre variant 1 mitigations. None of the BSDs do.
                  And before anyone asks, no, disabling hyperthreading does nothing about spectre v1.
                  I'd like less hype [by fanbois] around OpenBSD every release cycle and more routine audits by reputable security researchers instead. Not to deflate or spite the fanboism, but to figure out what actually works for security in OpenBSD, and what's theater. That way the people that would like to use it in a secure manner know how to do so safely. You can bet the national intelligence agencies know the holes already and are sitting on them. The rest of us would like to know them as well.

Security audits go with the money, understandably so. Have to feed the kids and keep the lights on. Not likely many groups are going to bother because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
                    Seems like they've just yoinked a bunch of the stuff from Asahi. Nice to see Asahi's code and ideas getting around.
                    Doesn't work that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X