X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waethorn
    replied
    Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Haiku has a limited developer body, and save for the one paid developer, it's all volunteers. They have their own priorities, which are the things they care about.

Apparently, they care about RISC-V (the future and an open ISA, an excellent recipe for the collection of good will) and x86 (most people's workhorse) more than ARM.

Regardless, there's been an apparent influx of ARM effort in Haiku. I think it's realistically possible for Raspberry Pi boot to graphical desktop to be achieved in a few months at the current pace.
    RISC-V won't go mainstream unless Red Hat starts hiring more developers.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

All of the Steam Decks sold. More to come. Linux has the highest number of playable games next to Windows. Linux started conquering the desktop much later than macOS and it's not too far behind. Linux recently started fixing its the biggest downside on desktop: X. Windows is on Solaris path to the end while Linux future is very bright. The only one who's hopless here is 'I have no clue - ayumu'. The fight just started and Linux is on much better position than anything. Haiku is maybe twenty years behind..
    Wait a sec, so people are not going to game on their Steam Decks? Again: we were talking about Linux DESKTOP. A gaming device is NOT a desktop. The least you could do was add ChromeOS to the mix, 'cause that's an actual well-selling desktop OS.

And how exactly is Haiku behind? It has all the basics that Linux has, even a package manager, and there's Qt to run Qt apps, drivers from FreeBSD to not run far behind on hardware specs, it has a way more coherent desktop because it's designed as a whole, it has a good modern 4K video editor, it has Wine to run Windows apps and play Windows games (it's a WIP, but it's actively worked upon and various Windows apps on Haiku have been showcased already)... what more do you want?
    Last edited by Vistaus; 18 April 2022, 01:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    You're hopeless and your broken windows. Linux actually succeeded, but you have to be something more than amoeba to understand this. Haiku on the other hand is nothing more than a toy.

Come back to reality.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by hiryu View Post
    I like Haiku and I bought BeOS r4.5 and 5.0 back in the day, but for the last few months attempting to install Haiku to disk results in an immediate crash to kernel debugger land in both kvm and virtualbox.

I don't use Haiku much, but every so often I like to build it and play around with it to see how it's progressed.
    Not including DOS, BeOS r4.5 might have been my first non-Windows operating system.

Leave a comment:

• ayumu
    replied
    Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
    i understand everything but i think they are really missing a big opportunity by not porting this over to the raspberry pi.
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    I would love to see a very good support for ARM.
    I think for them x86 should be optional, since they don't have the man power to support both arch's correctly.
    Haiku has a limited developer body, and save for the one paid developer, it's all volunteers. They have their own priorities, which are the things they care about.

Apparently, they care about RISC-V (the future and an open ISA, an excellent recipe for the collection of good will) and x86 (most people's workhorse) more than ARM.

Regardless, there's been an apparent influx of ARM effort in Haiku. I think it's realistically possible for Raspberry Pi boot to graphical desktop to be achieved in a few months at the current pace.
    Last edited by ayumu; 18 April 2022, 02:55 AM. Reason: quote

Leave a comment:

• ayumu
    replied

You're hopeless and your broken windows.
    Random but: Have you tried using GNOME's current file picker dialog? The absolute state of Linux desktop environments.

Linux is my daily driver since 2000, despite its faults, because it is simply the option that sucks less, which does not actually mean it is any good.

Before that, I'd been using it on and off since 1994. I have never been an active Windows user, outside of computers that aren't mine. Before Linux, I used AmigaOS on Amiga hardware.

Just to clarify: I am not joking when I say there's not going to be a year of the Linux desktop.

Haiku on the other hand is nothing more than a toy.
    It is designed as a whole, and has a coherency the ecosystem around Linux will never have.

I would like things to go some other way but, realistically, Fuchsia is going to effectively replace Linux in a few years, as they have both a design that is significantly superior to that of Linux and a cohesion of the whole system which Linux will never have. That's even ignoring Google's power to push their system into use.
    Last edited by ayumu; 18 April 2022, 02:58 AM. Reason: Amiga

Leave a comment:

• Waethorn
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    I think for them x86 should be optional, since they don't have the man power to support both arch's correctly.
    Even Linux can’t get decent ARM support. GPU’s, firmware/bootloaders, and wireless support are all pretty bad on Linux, and it has…how many times the development community of Haiku?

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hiryu
    replied
    I like Haiku and I bought BeOS r4.5 and 5.0 back in the day, but for the last few months attempting to install Haiku to disk results in an immediate crash to kernel debugger land in both kvm and virtualbox.

I don't use Haiku much, but every so often I like to build it and play around with it to see how it's progressed.

Leave a comment:

• TheCanadianBacon
    replied
    Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
    i understand everything but i think they are really missing a big opportunity by not porting this over to the raspberry pi.
    And that's where you be wrong

https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/building/port_status/ They have several ports in the process.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X