Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.1-RC1 Pulls In OpenZFS 2.1, WiFi Updates

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.1-RC1 Pulls In OpenZFS 2.1, WiFi Updates

FreeBSD 13.1 continues working its way towards release later in April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This would be the OS I'd use if it wasn't for Valve releasing Steam on Linux.

I hope someone at Valve reads this and gets the hint. If Valve can hook up PoS Chromebooks....

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      This would be the OS I'd use if it wasn't for Valve releasing Steam on Linux.

I hope someone at Valve reads this and gets the hint. If Valve can hook up PoS Chromebooks....
      I too used to hold out hope that Valve would support FreeBSD but I've abandoned that hope. I think the best path to great Steam games on FreeBSD is through the Linux emulation layer!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I too used to hold out hope that Valve would support FreeBSD but I've abandoned that hope. I think the best path to great Steam games on FreeBSD is through the Linux emulation layer!
        That's what I think, too. Fortunately, most of the games I'd want to play have the playable status.

Comment

Giving amount of changes in release notes: R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
            Giving amount of changes in release notes: R.I.P.
            It's not actually released yet. That page will fill in once it gets to release status.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's what I think, too. Fortunately, most of the games I'd want to play have the playable status.
              The Linuxulator's current support is getting really nice and the implications of that go far beyond gaming (Linux Jails anyone? Like you want to host on nice fast FreeBSD with a jail infrastructure but that one thing needs Linux..)

- but also.. FreeBSD should be able to run Wine just as well as Linux or MacOS. If Steams focus is now on wine..
              Last edited by k1e0x; 01 April 2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                but also.. FreeBSD should be able to run Wine just as well as Linux or MacOS. If Steams focus is now on wine..
                But Steam uses Proton, not just WINE. Also, I don't know how on FreeBSD, but WINE on MacOS is not as good as on Linux (users have the paid version of WINE - CrossOver - with specific patches and features for macOS, e.g. translating 32bit-->64bit, as macOS doesn't have 32bit support anymore).

Comment

skeevy420 we have some FreeBSD and OpenBSD gamers on Matrix. Some play on GhostBSD as well https://matrix.to/#/#bsd-gaming:matrix.org

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

The Linuxulator's current support is getting really nice and the implications of that go far beyond gaming (Linux Jails anyone? Like you want to host on nice fast FreeBSD with a jail infrastructure but that one thing needs Linux..)

- but also.. FreeBSD should be able to run Wine just as well as Linux or MacOS. If Steams focus is now on wine..
                    Linux jails mostly work. Right now (havent tried this beta yet). What doesnt seem to work rn - is Linux networking from inside jailed Linux towards host/outside (protocol not supported error). Just ping smth from Linux jail and you will get an error.
                    When you are willing to limit yourself to Linux chroot, its usable.
                    Last edited by aht0; 04 April 2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X