Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AmigaOS-Like MorphOS 3.16 Released With Better Performance

Phoronix: AmigaOS-Like MorphOS 3.16 Released With Better Performance

MorphOS as the AmigaOS-like operating system now in development for more than two decades and targeting PowerPC hardware is out with version 3.16 as its first major release in over a year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! First time I've seen Amiga (or Amiga adjacent) stuff covered here.

I have two licenses for MorphOS myself; one I use on a G5 tower, the other I run on a Powerbook G4. Funny thing is, the Powerbook currently has a better GPU than the G5 tower does... Unfortunately as soon as I turn on the wifi, I have a few minutes then it locks up. No idea why. Does it in MacOS on the thing too. Even tried swapping out the Aircard.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
      Nice! First time I've seen Amiga (or Amiga adjacent) stuff covered here.

I have two licenses for MorphOS myself; one I use on a G5 tower, the other I run on a Powerbook G4. Funny thing is, the Powerbook currently has a better GPU than the G5 tower does... Unfortunately as soon as I turn on the wifi, I have a few minutes then it locks up. No idea why. Does it in MacOS on the thing too. Even tried swapping out the Aircard.
      I like such Projects but I always ask myself what are the major usecases? Retrogaming? Dailydriver for easycheesy webbrowsing and emailwirting? "Save Haven for old projects? Or just a proof of concept that it still works today?
      This is meant completely without any judgement. I just want to understand enthusiasts behind those projects.

Comment

Resting in the computer 'Hall Of Heroes', the first 32-bit home computer, with a x million colour palette, a data cd player and hard disk. The Commodore still calls to me "DF0: is a NDOS disk", my boot menu, 50% a bust.

Comment

Posting this from a G5 with MorphOS 3.16.
          Last edited by schwarzygesetzlos; 11 March 2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
            Unfortunately as soon as I turn on the wifi, I have a few minutes then it locks up. No idea why. Does it in MacOS on the thing too. Even tried swapping out the Aircard.
            Had this problem on my old G5 7,3 too. As a workaround I used a PCI WLAN-card with Atheros (ath5k) chipset instead. Worked well on MorphOS & Linux. I did not use MacOS.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              I like such Projects but I always ask myself what are the major usecases? Retrogaming? Dailydriver for easycheesy webbrowsing and emailwirting? "Save Haven for old projects? Or just a proof of concept that it still works today?
              As easycheesy webbrowsing, emailwirting and Google Docs work quite well you can actually use it a a dailydriver, yes. The Wayfarer browser utilizes an optimized version of current webkit-gtk-2.34.x + some Altivec stuff. Also the other use cases you listed work quite well.

So if you got any PPC-Mac gear lying around it's worth a try. To actually buy used PPC-Mac gear or custom Amiga PPC gear to use MorphOS you would be probably only willing to do if you have some legacy Amiga background.

Comment

One (but not the only) thing I always liked about Amiga OS was the range of power and features it offered with a relatively simple composition of the system.
                Back then, I could basically tell the meaning of every file present in the OS install, which was nice, as you could quite boldly try and experiment with whatever you wanted, and still revert any unintended damages with ease. I haven't used Morph OS, but maybe they have kept some of that spirit intact.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                  One (but not the only) thing I always liked about Amiga OS was the range of power and features it offered with a relatively simple composition of the system.
                  You mean offers. AmigaOS is still alive. 4.1 is going strong with weekly system updates and regular third-party updates through the update manager, while 4.2 is being worked on, and 3.x also gets upgrades (no update manager in 3.x, though).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You mean offers. AmigaOS is still alive. 4.1 is going strong with weekly system updates and regular third-party updates through the update manager, while 4.2 is being worked on, and 3.x also gets upgrades (no update manager in 3.x, though).
                    Yeah, I'm aware, just avoided commenting on them since I haven't used those versions personally.

Comment

Working...
                    X