No announcement yet.

Chimera Linux Pushes Ahead For FreeBSD User-Space Atop Linux, Built Using LLVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So its like GNU/Linux, with a worse userland and compiled by a worse compiler. Now that's a compelling package.

Comment

This combination of kernel and userland is unfortunately illegal and against the law. Linux is licensed under the GNU "General Public License", which does not allow combining it with non-freeware components such as "BSD". I hope Bradley Kuhn of the Software Freedom Conservancy steps in and nips this in the bud before we get another ZFS-on-Linux situation.

Comment

Meritocracy and technical-only spaces are crap
        Ok... Well at least they're totally open about having positions filled with token minorities and cramming in their personal politics everywhere. Doubt this will go anywhere and it'll probably end up imploding from infighting within a year or two. Not that there seems to be much of a point to this whole project anyway. If there's anything positive that'll come out of this, it's to keep these people from causing problems for actually useful projects.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Ok... Well at least they're totally open about having positions filled with token minorities and cramming in their personal politics everywhere. Doubt this will go anywhere and it'll probably end up imploding from infighting within a year or two. Not that there seems to be much of a point to this whole project anyway. If there's anything positive that'll come out of this, it's to keep these people from causing problems for actually useful projects.
          Open source meritocracies and technical only spaces are what keep Linux behind. Give no voice to regular users and you'll get a system regular users can't use. Create such a system and you get a niche system with almost no support outside of the neckbeards. That's where meritocracy ends up. That's why suckless sucks, that's why we still use duct-taped init systems rather than proper service managers that end up in over complicated ad-hoc code, that's why everything is half-assed. Technical people can deal with that bullshit, so we don't care enough to fix it.
          That said, I'm always in favor of people doing whatever they like with their time. If they choose to give voice to users, I say they're rather smart and their project is more likely to succeed. If they choose not to, they're in their damn right, it's most likely their hobby anyway and it may be useful to someone as a side-effect. Expecting someone to use their time to please you is plain entitlement.

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Reading the website ngl it seems the creator has the correct mindset.

This isn't any kind of redneck or evangelistic distro (e.g. Devuan).
          I get the same feel, I also like their principles. That said, I don't really see the motivation. Just fun? Or the cohesion of having a whole OS rather than scattered packages? Something else?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Thought the same. The idea is interesting. Better than using FreeBSD kernel + GNU userland, at least. But the wokist line makes me worry. Politics should stay away from science and technology.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
              Open source meritocracies and technical only spaces are what keep Linux behind.
              How does giving positions of power to the most competent people and keeping things on-topic hinder developing an operating system? History's kinda full of examples on what happens when you start giving out positions of power over non-meritocratic things like ethnicity, who you're related to, clan memberships and political leanings. Failed states and collapsed societies all around.

Give no voice to regular users and you'll get a system regular users can't use. Create such a system and you get a niche system with almost no support outside of the neckbeards. That's where meritocracy ends up. That's why suckless sucks, that's why we still use duct-taped init systems rather than proper service managers that end up in over complicated ad-hoc code, that's why everything is half-assed. Technical people can deal with that bullshit, so we don't care enough to fix it.
              What cave have you been living in for the last 15 years or so? Linux has been perfectly usable by the wider public for that time, systemd has it's issues but it's most certainly not duct-taped together, and the main thing that's keeping it from usage by most people is a familiarity with windows and reverse chicken or the egg problem with user share and commercial software. To get that software you need users and to get users you need that software. Getting token hires to go about running the project like Caligula does absolutely nothing for it.

That said, I'm always in favor of people doing whatever they like with their time. If they choose to give voice to users, I say they're rather smart and their project is more likely to succeed. If they choose not to, they're in their damn right, it's most likely their hobby anyway and it may be useful to someone as a side-effect. Expecting someone to use their time to please you is plain entitlement.
              Uuh... You do remember I just wrote that I find this pointless, but at least they won't be causing problems for actually useful projects. At least until this project inevitably implodes after they go at each others' throats over politics.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                I don't mean to encourage the devs, but, just another distro who's trying to be different.

Man, i don't know whether choices on linux distro is good or not. Most of them don't bring anything new to the table.
                Have you seen their last slide? This one is enough to get hated by half of the Linux user base. The article intro is right it's not just one of the classic Ubuntu/Arch reflavouring

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

Thought the same. The idea is interesting. Better than using FreeBSD kernel + GNU userland, at least. But the wokist line makes me worry. Politics should stay away from science and technology.
                  That'll never happen. There's a reason that police and politics have the same origin of polis; a word that means city-state....

The GPL license in and of itself is political. A phrase like "GNU userland" is political. Why? Because you have to have politicians, police, and a state that all care enough to enforce the licenses to even have divisions to end up with BSD and GNU userlands. Free free to replace GPL with any other license available. They're all the same here. Technology and licensing goes hand in hand with politics as does science and peoples' views at the time.

In its early days the accepted science was GAIDS. Gay AIDS. People got involved, politics happened, and now it's just AIDS. It's not all just about the flat earth in the 1500-1600s. Welp, we convinced em' the earth is round. Mission accomplished. They'll keep their religious politics out of science for all time. Oh, wait. It's been hundreds of years and some of em' still think the earth is flat and Florida is trying to not say gay...

It all goes hand in hand.

Comment

Is this heretic BSD people wanting a better kernel?

Comment

Wow - this sounds like the worst of both worlds - linux kernel with FreeBSD userland. My main complaint with FreeBSD is the lack of applications.

The presentation seems a bit confusing; for example I don't understand 'Not suckless' paired with 'If it sucks, get rid of it'. I do wish people would stick with one meaning of a word. And what does this mean "But technical dept is". Is what!?l Or "Neither is bootstrapping" Huh?!

And Gnome is the root of all evil. I also don't have a problem with meritocracy, as long as everyone gets a voice - the most successful work environments I've been in were like that.

What I do like is the use of LLVM tool chain, Ickey talks about doing that with SerpentOS, and I prefer if to GCC. Mainly because GCC doesn't support objc2.0 or wasm, and I understand the error messages better in clang.

Comment

Working...
                      X