No announcement yet.

Chimera Linux Pushes Ahead For FreeBSD User-Space Atop Linux, Built Using LLVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimera Linux Pushes Ahead For FreeBSD User-Space Atop Linux, Built Using LLVM

Phoronix: Chimera Linux Pushes Ahead For FreeBSD User-Space Atop Linux, Built Using LLVM

While so many Linux distributions these days are just cosmetic changes and basic package alterations atop the likes of Ubuntu / Debian and Fedora, Chimera Linux that started last year continues to be an interesting project to watch for using the Linux kernel but with the FreeBSD user-space, making use of the LLVM Clang compiler rather than GCC, using musl as its preferred C library, and other differences...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't mean to encourage the devs, but, just another distro who's trying to be different.

Man, i don't know whether choices on linux distro is good or not. Most of them don't bring anything new to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      I don't mean to encourage the devs, but, just another distro who's trying to be different.

Man, i don't know whether choices on linux distro is good or not. Most of them don't bring anything new to the table.
      If most of them don't bring anything new to the table, they will largely go unused, so those are irrelevant.

Comment

Reading the website ngl it seems the creator has the correct mindset.

This isn't any kind of redneck or evangelistic distro (e.g. Devuan).

Comment

Poor "GNU plus Linux" copypasta postersā€¦
          How do we call this? "BSD/Linux", "musl/Linux", "non-GNU/Linux", "alternative userland/Linux", "A Linux distribution built atop a non-GNU userland"??
          Last edited by kiffmet; 08 February 2022, 08:53 AM.

Comment

What's the benefit of using this distro. I don't understand. Probably their doing it for their fun or something.

Comment

Basically the opposite of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.

I see this as an interesting project for those who like the legacy and calmness of a BSD userland but with the cutting edge driver support of Linux.

Unfortunately from what I can see is it isn't really a BSD userland. Just a slightly lighter userland alternative. The C standard library, display system and audio system are fairly ad-hoc and different.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 08 February 2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

What a bad nameā€¦

Comment

Nice idea. Using GNOME, however, ensures that I'll never use it. There are certain compromises I'm just not willing to make.

Comment

lol. freebsd userland is where you can't put -l after ls *.txt

Comment

Working...
                    X