airyxOS Aims To Build Upon FreeBSD With The "Finesse of macOS"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynic View Post

so, you're saying we have to throw away the biggest software ecosystem because of some vulnerabilities in a 3rd part library?

Would you like to talk about this one? https://www.cve.org/CVERecord?id=CVE-2022-21658
    And this was in the Rust standard library, not an external project.

NOTE: I love both Java and Rust.
    it sounds like the logic is "log4j is bad. java is bad. rust is safe and fast. rust is good." However, I think people who have actually developed software in java and Rust don't necessarily see it that way.

I'm not sure Rust projects will work well in the FreeBSD ports system. Pulling in random unverified 3rd party projects from an internet repository such as crates.io and GH hasn't really been accepted by FreeBSD users. If Mozilla (the 'creators' of Rust) ever publishes their Rust-based servo browser (Rust is not in Firefox, which is curious b/c well, it's Rust, which is from Mozilla, so like what's the hold up dude?) there would need to be individual ports created for each 'crate' which could be alot of work. Python projects can be a chore to build ports b/c third party dependencies must also be ports. Node.js projects are pretty much a no-go in the Ports system.

For example this project is a dependency of servo: https://github.com/servo/servo/blob/...gin/Cargo.toml
    Trying to build a FreeBSD port for that would be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

They are coooperating, see theirs github. But those projects are different. airyxOS mostly taking inspiration from current macOs and author likes modern subsystems and technologies. helloSystem aiming for old 1990 Mac OS and author dislikes modern subsystems as hard to understand.
      But they could still join forces to create one system and let the user decide if they want the modern theme or oldskool theme.

Comment

Another?!

Hey, at least it doesn't infringe on the likely-Apple-owned "hello" trademark.

Comment

Why do people support BSD licenses for OS when their only advantage over GPL is for the corporations that can take it up, make some improvements and release it as a closed source proprietary OS without benefiting the original project in any way? I mean, if BSD license was good for projects, then darwin and freeBSD/openBSD etc would be one of the best supported and feature rich projects out there, given how many companies have benefited from them for their proprietary software

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
            Ironmask
            ​​​​​​​Also mac os "toy desktop" is still either more advanced or more stable (sometimes both) than anything on linux
            Good joke! It had upper hand in audio and graphic stack, but nothing more. With Wayland and pipewire this is going to change. In everything else toyOS sucks.

Comment

skeevy420

Get lost troll.

Comment

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post
                Why do people support BSD licenses for OS when their only advantage over GPL is for the corporations that can take it up, make some improvements and release it as a closed source proprietary OS without benefiting the original project in any way? I mean, if BSD license was good for projects, then darwin and freeBSD/openBSD etc would be one of the best supported and feature rich projects out there, given how many companies have benefited from them for their proprietary software
                There are people who like being used, so that's why.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

They are coooperating, see theirs github. But those projects are different. airyxOS mostly taking inspiration from current macOs and author likes modern subsystems and technologies. helloSystem aiming for old 1990 Mac OS and author dislikes modern subsystems as hard to understand.
                  Thank you, I knew about helloSystem, because the author did a very interesting series of posts about desktop usability, but didn't read enough about airyxOS

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Good joke! It had upper hand in audio and graphic stack, but nothing more. With Wayland and pipewire this is going to change. In everything else toyOS sucks.
                    I find it kind of funny because your favourite DE borrowed so heavily from that particular toy os and it still has a long way to get there...

Comment

No thanks, I have Linux, and don't need no FreeBSD with a shitty, unpolished, cheap macOS imitation skin that looks like an alpha version of the first version of Mac OS X.

Comment

Working...
                      X