No announcement yet.

OPNsense 22.1 Released With This Open-Source Firewall Now Powered By FreeBSD 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful of upgrading if you're using IPv6. Something broke in the OPNsense framework and radvd might not function in your environment.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

He is not talking about RTL8139. This affects all of their Gigabit controllers, RTL8168 / 8169 / 8110, etc.

They're definitely not fine. That's the whole point of the comment.
      I do own Gigabyte Aorus-M, with RTL8168/8169 NIC which seems to work just fine under FreeBSD, so I must admit I find this claim puzzling.

Comment

It's a shame they moved away from HardenedBSD. I'm hoping that someone forks the project to continue with the HardenedBSD backend.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          I do own Gigabyte Aorus-M, with RTL8168/8169 NIC which seems to work just fine under FreeBSD, so I must admit I find this claim puzzling.
          It's been known for well over a decade that the respective re(4) driver in the *BSD's have some warts and cause problems. There is a lack of magic tweaking. No documentation and the vendor driver is a mess. Some people luck out. But the symptoms are watchdog resets which are an issue with the transmit path and the other being quite poor performance.

From the OPNsense changelog for 22.1..

"The Realtek vendor driver is no longer bundled with the updated FreeBSD kernel. If unsure whether FreeBSD 13 supports your Realtek NIC please install the os-realtek-re plugin prior to upgrading to retain operability of your NICs."

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
            Be careful of upgrading if you're using IPv6. Something broke in the OPNsense framework and radvd might not function in your environment.
            There is some other breakage with IPv6 with the release too. Also project management does not seem to have the maturity to deal with fixing this. He just wants to close the bug report, after others have run into this, and run away.

Comment

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Guess I lucked with my motherboard.

Comment

Working...
              X