Astounding Progress Made In Porting Wine To Haiku For Running Windows Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Personally, I actually quite like the large variety of desktop environments, because the ui is what you interact with the most in an operating system, so the more variety, the more people will find what suits them the best. For example, I've seen someone who dislikes Gnome so much, say that if it was the only DE on Linux, he would rather just use Windows. And it shouldn't cause fragmentation as long as all of them use x11 or Wayland and nothing else.

When it comes to distribution themselves however, then yeah. There's too many of them. Some may like it, but ultimately it's the other main reason (apart from the low market share) why Linux is unattractive for developers as a target platform. I mean the tons of different package distribution methods is a direct result of this fragmentation.
    Oh, I do too. My biggest issue is there being a bunch of distribution forks for different desktop environments or software configurations. There has to be a better way than creating an entire distribution to share desktops and configurations.

Comment

Microsoft will never port software that has entire industry's captive to it's useage.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Android is the most popular and used OS in the world right now with over a million of applications. I would love Linux/GNU to be the same crap.
        Yet it is shitty crap. By the way MS provided for decades most popular OS used all over the world, and it was stunning crap.

GNU/Linux does not have to take over the world. There is room for proprietary software too. Things are fine now, and more than fine, things are great. People can have perfectly fine desktop and can even chose who provides that desktop for them. There is diversity, which actually mean something and give value, and does not exist only because of the political reasons.

Comment

Isn't there a browser based version of Office?
          And while MS isn't rushing to port software to Linux, they have more incentive these days. Now that everything is a service, "owning" software isn't profitable anymore.

And yeah I was just thinking of how utterly fractured and chaotic the linux ecosystem is. But it is getting better. All-in-one management stuff like Systemd is a standard now. Package managers need to improve (and to stop constantly bricking installations) and it needs to get out of this horrible xorg/wayland transition. It's definitely not usable now, but it's slowly getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
            Isn't there a browser based version of Office?
            And yeah I was just thinking of how utterly fractured and chaotic the linux ecosystem is. But it is getting better. All-in-one management stuff like Systemd is a standard now.
            And a lot of new distros are created cause someone hate systemd

Comment

Ah c'mon. There is already a standard and it is called Ubuntu. The wast majority of distributions is some sort of Debian derivative and has therefore a very predictable package base also. And it is really not the case that any developer has to test anything for more than Ubuntu... Demanding "one distribution" is also a call for undermining the whole greatness of the Linux ecosystem. Would I be able to run wayland on it yet - likely not, and if yes: What would be the difference to multiple distributions. And what about exciting experiments like NixOS? This would be "not a Linux" in this case? Or to summarize: The diversity prevents a monopoly clusterfuck like Windows.
              Not sure what this would have to do anything with Haiku - which obviously has not been able to attract a larger user base yet. Maybe this is the actual reason why there is still one version of it

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                Doesn't Haiku run everything as root? Can't wait for Ransomware to hit the platform via WINE…
                It will at most infect its whole user base of 5 people and those 5 probably have a backup somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Nope. One size does not fit all. For example Android is crap, and there is your "unified" Linux distribution.
                  Yeah yeah… unified doesn’t work, Windows and MacOs are doing so bad with this decision. Android the most used OS in the world is crap… blahh. Only linux and its amazing 1 percent share on desktop got it right…. You are right, let’s continue with our 1000 distros with 0.01 pourcent share… that’s the way to go!
                  Last edited by rmfx; 02 January 2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Yeah yeah… unified doesn’t work, Windows and MacOs are doing so bad with this decision. Android the most used OS in the world is crap… blahh. Only linux and its amazing 1 percent share on desktop got it right…. You are right, let’s continue with our 1000 distros with 0.01 pourcent share… that’s the way to go!
                    Do you think Toyota Corolla is the best car, and everyone should drive one because of "unification"?

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

And now look at marvelous unified BeOS/Haiku. It's so amazing it doesn't even have 1 percent of that 1 percent that Linux have. 9 women can't give a birth to a baby in 1 month, so why all these 1000 distros should be unified? Let them fight and the strongest will survive. Same goes for system components that Linux uses like libc, init system, sound system because it gives you the choice to pick the best one. All you get in Haiku is a crappy desktop, root privilege for anything and copycatting unix syscalls (because otherwise your system won't have any software at all).
                      Last edited by RejectModernity; 02 January 2022, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X