No announcement yet.

helloSystem 0.7 Released With Big Improvements For This Leading Desktop BSD OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helloSystem 0.7 Released With Big Improvements For This Leading Desktop BSD OS

Phoronix: helloSystem 0.7 Released With Big Improvements For This Leading Desktop BSD OS

For those with extra time around the end-of-year holidays, helloSystem 0.7 is now available as the newest update to this leading BSD-based desktop operating system that is inspired by Apple macOS but powered by FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

90's here we meet again. It's interesting that there are so many projects reinventing wheel.

Comment

For This Leading Desktop BSD OS
      I can't help but believe the upstream FreeBSD is the leading desktop BSD OS. Especially since a "Mac OS X" themed desktop not to everyone's taste.

Unless it meant out of all the FreeBSD based desktop oriented respins? In which case, then probably; most of the others have died. Hopefully a similar fate won't await this respin. It might just be safer to use upstream FreeBSD and a simple pkg install command to grab the desktop of choice.

Re-reading my post, it sounds like I am just being a grump! I do believe the world needs another (lighter) desktop environment. However I think this would better serve people if it was simply released as a port within the upstream FreeBSD ports collection. I don't think it will quite stand up on its own. I do wish it luck however.

Comment

This article is wrong. It is not leading Desktop BSD, as this is still in early development. It is not inspired by nowadays macOs, but by early Mac OS from ninetees. And while author is probably smart, he is slightly insane as he wants system both works automatically for users and he does not like automatization presented in modern Linux/Windows/macOS systems.

Comment

It's a derivative of FreeBSD, not distinct OS. So he isn't really wrong. Just confusing wording.

Comment

Well, it has a desktop with access to files, a launcher/task switcher at the bottom, windows with titlebars and minimise icons. So far looks sane.

I'm personally not a fan of menus at the top of the screen (I don't like that they switch depending on what application is in the foreground), but that is a matter of preference.

I'm not sure why all these desktops aren't just themes for Gnome or KDE. Nothing this does looks like it's more than a configuration option. I'm pretty sure Windows has add-ons that configure the computer to look like this.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I can't help but believe the upstream FreeBSD is the leading desktop BSD OS. Especially since a "Mac OS X" themed desktop not to everyone's taste.

Unless it meant out of all the FreeBSD based desktop oriented respins? In which case, then probably; most of the others have died. Hopefully a similar fate won't await this respin. It might just be safer to use upstream FreeBSD and a simple pkg install command to grab the desktop of choice.

Re-reading my post, it sounds like I am just being a grump! I do believe the world needs another (lighter) desktop environment. However I think this would better serve people if it was simply released as a port within the upstream FreeBSD ports collection. I don't think it will quite stand up on its own. I do wish it luck however.
              If it had an official desktop, sure. But that's like saying Gentoo or Arch are the leading Linux desktops because any desktop is an install away.

I get them not wanting to be part of the ports collection. While I haven't looked too deep into it, it wouldn't surprise me to see system configuration tweaks and things of that nature that make more sense to be set default versus hoping the user reads the manual and knows to set the proper tweaks so the desktop works as it is supposed to.

It's the difference between "install it" or "so after you've installed Manjaro you need to right click the start menu change to Application Menu, remove KWrite, install zsh and git, clone these zsh themes and frameworks, use these settings when p10k configure is ran, yada, yada".
              Last edited by skeevy420; 20 December 2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                Well, it has a desktop with access to files, a launcher/task switcher at the bottom, windows with titlebars and minimise icons. So far looks sane.

I'm personally not a fan of menus at the top of the screen (I don't like that they switch depending on what application is in the foreground), but that is a matter of preference.

I'm not sure why all these desktops aren't just themes for Gnome or KDE. Nothing this does looks like it's more than a configuration option. I'm pretty sure Windows has add-ons that configure the computer to look like this.
                You're thinking of appmenu.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention earlier that this very well could be a KDE theme in the future. They just landed the bits and pieces to save custom Latte Dock layouts which is one of the things needed for a OS-styled themes.
                Last edited by skeevy420; 20 December 2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Interesting how these desktop distros always use freebsd which is undoubtedly the most bloated and complex compared to {Net,Open}BSD. Also the unmistakably macOS *inspired* desktop is certainly a nod to freebsd users which use macOS as their workstation.

Comment

Yet another BSD copy-paste distro, of which no one heard about, is suddenly leading desktop BSD?

Comment

Working...
                    X