Apple macOS Monterey 12 Performance Is Surprisingly Competitive With Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple macOS Monterey 12 Performance Is Surprisingly Competitive With Linux

Phoronix: Apple macOS Monterey 12 Performance Is Surprisingly Competitive With Linux

It's been a while since last comparing the Apple macOS performance to Linux since in part because the newer Apple Silicon (M1) hardware isn't yet in good enough shape for performance tests on Linux. But for those wondering about the Intel-powered Macs and how the performance of the latest Linux distributions compare to that of macOS 12 Monterey, here are some benchmarks of the new macOS 12.1 up against Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, Ubuntu 21.10, and Intel's own Clear Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It should be MacOS vs. Linux. vs Windows, not only MacOS vs. Linux.

Comment

Why would the Mac be slower than Linux? It's not 1995 anymore, plus Linux is open source so the Mac can copy all of its better ideas and it's not like Apple doesn't have enough money or interest to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Why would the Mac be slower than Linux? It's not 1995 anymore, plus Linux is open source so the Mac can copy all of its better ideas and it's not like Apple doesn't have enough money or interest to do so.
        macOS has been really bad at a lot of things for a long time. They were on HFS+ for their filesystem for like two decades, and local IPC has been really slow the whole time. You may not know, but it is a genuine surprise that it's caught up like this.

Comment

amazing how macos is bad, imagine if the chip is not mad by apple.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
            It should be MacOS vs. Linux. vs Windows, not only MacOS vs. Linux.
            Is there a machine that is supported by all 3 OSes? Bare metal, not virtual.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

macOS has been really bad at a lot of things for a long time. They were on HFS+ for their filesystem for like two decades, and local IPC has been really slow the whole time. You may not know, but it is a genuine surprise that it's caught up like this.
              I get it but they have been working hard on their OS since OSX and having giant piles of money and having a healthy base (IIRC it's a unix system underneath) it would be surprising if they didn't catch up.

Comment

Why is my post above unapproved? A forbidden key world?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Why is my post above unapproved? A forbidden key world?
                  I am guessing the system thought you were a Cl33r Linux shill, gave your post the boot

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    I don't know enough on low-level macOS stuff to know this (other than to know that APFS is probably better than HFS+!!) But I'll take your word on all of this, and since I have to deal with macOS users at work. And actually this is being typed on an Air running macOS 11.6.1 - I may have to do a clean install to 12.x sometime (could upgrade but need to create a USB installer anyway.) Sounds like Apple really improved some things, fine by me.

Comment

Working...
                    X