Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarks: FreeBSD 13 vs. NetBSD 9.2 vs. OpenBSD 7 vs. DragonFlyBSD 6 vs. Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grahamperrin View Post
    Off-topic from comparative benchmarks:

– a sarcastic question that demonstrates true lack of interest.

For anyone with a genuine interest in FreeBSD support for AMD, i915 and Radeon:
    I genuinely didn't know that FreeBSD had support up to Ice Lake and now Alder Lake graphics on the Intel side and it is nice to see that my AMD 7700 is now supported. When I first started following FreeBSD and looking to build a workstation AMD graphics were in bad shape so I got a cheap Nvidia card this is right when 11.0 was fresh. Nice to see the project got caught up. The NetBSD page says Kaby Lake is the latest supported there and I think the notes for the latest release of OpenBSD said they had up through Ice lake support.

Comment

hm, seems like some of you guys really read the spam mails about pen is enlargement and you cannot think of anything other than bigger better faster... but I won't jump on that train

For the sake of completeness here: zstd has a bug: it reports throughput differently on Linux and BSD. Phoronix messed up this measurement by just using the output of zstd and not measuring the time it needed for decompression. If Phoronix did time measurements it would be obvious that FreeBSD is faster than Linux here. Some of you fanboys probably would not want to believe it, for the rest of you: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/f...er/001181.html

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Just for curiosity do you work in the IT industry?
        I doubt he is more than 15. Probably less. Immature aggression towards anyone not lining up with his worldview is dead giveaway. Kids bully others "not like them at school" with similar intensity. If he is older has to have some sort of personality disorder and unable to regulate his emotional responses. Same with some other, although pal666 is sure older, he exhibits same behaviour. Smth simply broken in them when it comes to social interactions.

He sure as shit doesn't know much and most of his posts are personal attacks or sneering in some form. Basically he is what makes Phoronix Moronix.
        Last edited by aht0; 14 December 2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I genuinely didn't know that FreeBSD had support up to Ice Lake and now Alder Lake graphics on the Intel side and it is nice to see that my AMD 7700 is now supported..
          It looks like drm devel packages are using Linux 5.5.19 drivers. Just figure out current Linux driver equivalent version, then see what those drivers at that version supported.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

I doubt he is more than 15. Probably less.

[...]

He sure as shit doesn't know much and most of his posts are personal attacks or sneering in some form. Basically he is what makes Phoronix Moronix.
            My experience here since 2010, even though I opened my account relatively recently, taught me that people who usually shown such attitude are, sadly, professionals between mid-forty and mid-fifty.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Fedora is also the recommended Desktop Linux Workstation OS inside Facebook. (source)
              Ok, nice. But I don't think this is representative.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                … completeness …
                (Covered on page 5.)

Comment

FreeBSD graphics/drm-devel-kmod (and above)

It looks like drm devel packages are using Linux 5.5.19 drivers.
                  True. The description at FreshPorts <https://www.freshports.org/graphics/...d/#description> draws from the ported pkg-descr file:Branches in GitHub (not in the ports tree) include:Around a month ago <https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/...ment-962622626> I tested the master branch. I don't know whether that corresponded to 5.5.19, 5.6⋯ or 5.7⋯.

Without reference to git, what's the best way to get a meaningful, distinctive version of something (not necessarily 5.anything) whilst the system runs? I see lines such as this in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

[246586.693] (II) modeset(0): glamor X acceleration enabled on AMD TURKS (DRM 2.50.0 / 14.0-CURRENT, LLVM 12.0.1)

– however the 2.50.0 is not suitably distinctive.

Comment

When I want to game, I am gonna use Windows. Why the fuck should I use Linux for that? Mere fraction of games supported compared to Windows and keeping accompanying software functional is just complete pita considering the breakage Linux routinely has all too often after software updates.. IF there is equivalent software in the first place. Gaming peripherals generally lack any kind of control software for Linux. Same with shit like MSI Afterburner which is good minimally for GPU custom fan profiles, even when you dont care about overclocking, videoclips, screenshots or graphical overlays.

Flightgear was just cause I was interested whether my VKB Gladiator NXT joystick would function with it and race game was "something simple and free" for my kid. Couldn't find old Colin McRae Rally dvd..

You can sit Steam Deck into your ass, for all I care. Consoles are for peasants and Linux anticheat support is game vendor dependent. Multiplayer often not available.

"toy OS FreeBSD" has run Nintendo Switch and last iterations of Playstations for how many years? Seems to be up to it. Answering your own question. Not that I care about these either, also consoles. Grow the fuck up with your "my Linux is da best, I need to prove it to whole world"-bs? It's honestly CHILDISH.
                    So, being a BSD fanboy yourself (why else choose it over the superior Linux alternative?) you actually use F*CKING WINDOWS to actually get some form of entertainment out of your otherwise miserable BSD experience!

Well done, I bet your fellow BSD comrades are really proud of you!

BTW, how are all the gaming related improvements Sony made to their downstream PROPRIETARY OS working out for "ya"?

Also, since "ya" obviously love your (childish) curse words, here's one just for "ya" from me:

Nah, "ya" really think I would descend to "ya" peasant BSD levels?
                    Of course not; I'm a Linux user for a reason, after all...

Comment

Originally posted by kraileth View Post
                      I kind of wish you knew what you were talking about (or at least check before simply making such assumptions!). There is a whole lot of software that does not run on FreeBSD at all or needs to be patched for better POSIX compliance by removing Linuxisms. Your example is a bad one, though.

When I wanted to take a look what is so complex about this program, I saw that it's a project that does not only support the FreeBSD platform, but the latest version (0.0.19) is available both from ports or pre-built and ready to be installed from the official FreeBSD package repos. A native package being available isn't the case for Arch (where you'd have to use the AUR), Debian, Fedora, and the like, BTW. Just sayin'.
                      You are again prove that only real Geniuses are walking among the smelly BSD fields...

First, I'm very well aware that their is a port available for FreeBSD, because it is mentioned right on their homepage when one loads it up!

Now, any guess why I specifically asked to try out RPCS3 on FreeBSD and report back how it went?
                      Because I was specifically interested in the actual performance of the PS3 games (or free demos if you have none) on your platform of choice, not whether you can just start-up the emulator at all and bask in its glorious GUI!!

I mean come on, what good is an emulator without the corresponding software to run it against in the first place?!

Remember how I specifically mentioned the Matrix Awakens tech-demo as the benchmark for what SteamOS has to deal with in the future?

The closest thing we have right now to that is RPCS3 running the most demanding PS3 games emulated on our platform of choice!

So, I take it you already tried it out?
                      How was the performance like?

But who am I kidding...
                      I obviously forgot you BSD folks don't actually use your passion project for anything other than a "me-too[!]" server OS...

Comment

Working...
                      X