FreeBSD 12.3 Prepares For New Release Ahead Of Christmas, Beta Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12.3 Prepares For New Release Ahead Of Christmas, Beta Starts

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12.3 Prepares For New Release Ahead Of Christmas, Beta Starts

The FreeBSD team has begun preparations for their next release process with an aim to ship FreeBSD 12.3 in early December...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Right now I think that FreeBSD is the best operating system, it has clear separation between base and ports, jails, native ZFS support as a first class citizen, best hardware support amongst the BSDs, reasonable security, good performance, etc. With its ability to run Ubuntu inside a jail you can even play steam games and run real Chrome with streaming service support all in a container separate from the rest of the OS. In a world where Linux seems like the scene in Star Wars 3 where Padme says I don’t know you, you are breaking my heart by chasing its third audio system, third or four init system, three competing jail implementations at least, and gnome and wayland dominate, FreeBSD is just a good solid Unix. Modern and eloquent but also not alien to the Unix of the 70s and 80s. Sure OpenBSD is more secure by default but is also slower and frankly can’t do some stuff that FreeBSD can like run Linux applications anymore since they stripped out that feature in 6.0. FreeBSD is the more civilized weapon from a simpler time. I like it and I like it a lot!

Comment

FreeBSD is one of those things that I read about and think, "If you're ever equivalent with 2020 Linux gaming with things like Steam and Heroic, hit me up." because kylew77 hit the nail on the head about my biggest gripe with Linux -- right when everything starts falling into place someone has to go and replace things with newer things just because it's open source and they can so you end up having to relearn everything, tweak your scripts, go from one compromise to another due to all sorts of competing implementations.

People talk a lot of good stuff about Linux and choice, but that comes at a very high cost and a plethora of distributions where you cross your fingers and hope you find one where all your needs overlap with their goals...and then you realize that magical distribution doesn't exist so you have to roll your own with Arch or Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        The fact that you needed to make your entire post bold speaks volumes about your confidence in FreeBSD

FreeBSD is ... could be a great alternative to Linux (AFAIK NetFlix uses FreeBSD exclusively for content delivery) on the server but on the desktop it's nowhere near close in terms of HW support and available software. It's a lot more "stable" and "refined" only if you find HW where it works and then give up on something you want to use.

Comment

I used FreeBSD 13 regularly until I realized I was wasting electricity doing so. Head to head comparison, exact same hardware running as a file server, with FreeBSD it was wasting about 10W at idle. Tried different power schemes to see if I could change that, no dice. So yeah, the hardware support problem goes way back. That was a SandyBridge CPU and board.

May not sound like a lot, and perhaps it's not in a home. I'm sure plenty of people casually waste more than 10W with all the wall warts they never take out of their sockets. But if you're managing hundreds of systems, or thousands, it adds up. FWIW, I tend to unplug warts. They cause RFI.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            I used FreeBSD 13 regularly until I realized I was wasting electricity doing so.
            I suppose I can easily justify and offset that slight increase by never booting or engaging with a Windows or macOS machine running all of its pointless DRM/temeletry services in the background. After all, this uses far more power and damages more hardware (especially physical HDD).

As an aside, how much into power management have you looked with FreeBSD? It is still pretty good. As well as CPU sleep / C-states, you can turn off much of the USB and even entire bus. The main area where Linux wins out is with a tickless kernel.

I notice that all of it is dwarfed by simply using a smaller / lower resolution monitor
            Last edited by kpedersen; 23 October 2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I suppose I can easily justify and offset that slight increase by never booting or engaging with a Windows or macOS machine running all of its pointless DRM/temeletry services in the background. After all, this uses far more power and damages more hardware (especially physical HDD).

As an aside, how much into power management have you looked with FreeBSD? It is still pretty good. As well as CPU sleep / C-states, you can turn off much of the USB and even entire bus. The main area where Linux wins out is with a tickless kernel.

I notice that all of it is dwarfed by simply using a smaller / lower resolution monitor
              Reread the post. Server. No monitor. Checked alternatives. I shouldn't have to go to all the damned trouble in the first place. SandyBridge hardware is what, 12 years old now?

Comment

Maybe this will be the one they finally bother to do *anything* about Spectre v1.............nah.

Who am I kidding? The didn't even have the manpower to review wireguard properly.
                Last edited by Developer12; 26 October 2021, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The fact that you needed to make your entire post bold speaks volumes about your confidence in FreeBSD

FreeBSD is ... could be a great alternative to Linux (AFAIK NetFlix uses FreeBSD exclusively for content delivery) on the server but on the desktop it's nowhere near close in terms of HW support and available software. It's a lot more "stable" and "refined" only if you find HW where it works and then give up on something you want to use.
                  I didn't mean to make it bold, I wrote it in a text editor to get all the text just right and to spell check everything. There was an annoying ad that kept popping up on the form that was preventing me from adding a comment.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    you are breaking my heart by chasing its third audio system, third or four init system, three competing jail implementations at least, and gnome and wayland dominate
                    I guess you're not aware that pipewire, pulseaudio, and jack are userspace audio servers that also run on FreeBSD, you can even see FreeBSD devs are working to make sure pipewire will run on FreeBSD. If you're also going to complain about container management systems that are built on cgroups + namespaces in the Linux kernel, why aren't you moaning about the various jail management systems? There's been warden, ezjail, iocage (rewritten at least once), and bastille. Likewise Wayland is not Linux-specific, it's just that Linux has orders of magnitude more users so developer attention in open source projects naturally focuses on Linux.

FreeBSD is a great OS, but it's just sad how so many users feel the need to shit on Linux and its ecosystem in order to justify their preference to the world. It reminds me of new Linux users who are compelled to complain about Windows every 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                    X