FreeBSD 12.3 Prepares For New Release Ahead Of Christmas, Beta Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    you are breaking my heart by chasing its third audio system, third or four init system, three competing jail implementations at least, and gnome and wayland dominate
    I guess you're not aware that pipewire, pulseaudio, and jack are userspace audio servers that also run on FreeBSD, you can even see FreeBSD devs are working to make sure pipewire will run on FreeBSD. If you're also going to complain about container management systems that are built on cgroups + namespaces in the Linux kernel, why aren't you moaning about the various jail management systems? There's been warden, ezjail, iocage (rewritten at least once), and bastille. Likewise Wayland is not Linux-specific, it's just that Linux has orders of magnitude more users so developer attention in open source projects naturally focuses on Linux.

FreeBSD is a great OS, but it's just sad how so many users feel the need to shit on Linux and its ecosystem in order to justify their preference to the world. It reminds me of new Linux users who are compelled to complain about Windows every 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
      FreeBSD is a great OS, but it's just sad how so many users feel the need to shit on Linux and its ecosystem in order to justify their preference to the world. It reminds me of new Linux users who are compelled to complain about Windows every 5 minutes.
      Yet this is the Linux user way of existing.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
        Yet this is the Linux user way of existing.
        Well I guess you look up to them, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          Well I guess you look up to them, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
          Which doesn't say much about the Linux users in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Reread the post. Server. No monitor
            No. I read. Which is why I mentioned a number of ways to reduce power consumption.

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            I shouldn't have to go to all the damned trouble in the first place. SandyBridge hardware is what, 12 years old now?
            You do have to. No matter how old some hardware is, an OS won't necessarily default to all power saving options by default.

Are you telling me you didn't even set the lowest C-state? There possibly lies the problem.
            Check out: https://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption
            Should take ~10 mins if you are familiar with the OS.

Comment

It's far too convenient to moan over ten meager Watts and its cost.

If that electricity is so important, update to more reasonable newer processor instead of using old wasteful platform. You'll save more in long term.

Comment

I am switching from Linux to FreeBSD as daily driver and while at system level FreeBSD is very great, intuitive and rationale, with a great documentation; the situation change when you run X11, a lot of linuxisms require manual changes on the system (you need to modify manually FSTAB for Gnome, KDE and XFCE), some packages are missing because considered unstable (such as libreOffice-GTK3), other packages are available but without a maintainer. The feeling is that areas where there is very few interest are barely cared, while on the Linux Desktop there is almost an homogeneous interest and you may find almost everything you need in a good shape.
                Last edited by Danielsan; 26 October 2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Danielsan Install some Ubuntu into jail and use Linux iterations of what you perceive is lacking.

Manual need for editing is given, treat it mentally as you'd treat Gentoo or Arch.

Linuxisms aren't really FreeBSD's fault. It's Linux that's been increasingly POSIX-incompatible..
                  Last edited by aht0; 02 November 2021, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    Danielsan Install some Ubuntu into jail and use Linux iterations of what you perceive is lacking.

Manual need for editing is given, treat it mentally as you'd treat Gentoo or Arch.

Linuxisms aren't really FreeBSD's fault. It's Linux that's been increasingly POSIX-incompatible..
                    Mine wasn't a criticism to FreeBSD, I just felt there are areas where is few interest and therefore those aren't in good shape as in Linux, I also noticed that some programs are designed with just Linux in mind, maybe a lot of devs believe that some compatibility between *nix are given but you pointed out that is not so trivial.

Comment

Working...
                    X