• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

OpenBSD
    Faster
    Yep, that's an oxymoron haha.

Stil wouldn't mind switching if only they had wayland support. Oh and maybe a filesystem that isn't from the 15th century.

Using a bunch of tools written with pledge/unveil compiled with a clean libc and LLVM sounds lovely though.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post

Stil wouldn't mind switching if only they had wayland support. Oh and maybe a filesystem that isn't from the 15th century.

Using a bunch of tools written with pledge/unveil compiled with a clean libc and LLVM sounds lovely though.
      It is not like they haven't tried to port Wayland, it just has a lot of Linux assumptions and is very hard to port, in fact it is holding back the Plasma 5 porting effort. See this page about the porting progress: https://www.sizeofvoid.org/posts/202...ayland-report/

While I'll agree that UFS/FFS isn't a ZFS or BTRFS replacement, it is just as good as ext4. It supports file systems as large as 2^73 bytes and files just as large and soft updates as opposed to journaling so is just as safe as say ext4 or xfs.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

As I have stated numerous times, I use Win 10 and Ubuntu Mate.

Now to be clear, even though both MS and Apple have fought lengthy court battles with the U.S. and other governments in order to prevent them from having to turn over information about one suspect or another, we know that the U.S. government has the ability to hack Windows OSes because if you will recall when there was that nasty vulnerability going around earlier this year the FBI took the unusual step of patching Windows servers around the country and then notifying MS about the exploit, which means that at least some government agencies can break into Windows servers at will, and I am guessing they can do the same to MacOS servers as well.

And yes, I think this is intentional in order to comply with laws governing the export of certain types of technologies, but these laws also apply to Red Hat, Suse, Canonical, Cisco, IBM, HP, Google, et al, so yes, I believe that all OSes have intentional back doors included.

I also believe that this strongly applies to Linux variants that originate in communist countries, which is why I would never use Red Flag Linux, Asianux, any distro that originates in Russia, North Korea, China, Pakistan, the list is really long.
        I do think that Linux & its distros with their lack of coordinated bug-tracking, testing and QA and likely quite a bit less secure than Windows ever since XP. Ever since I watched Dmitry Vyukov's (of syzcaller fame) 2019 Linux Plumber's talk[1], I have little hope for Linux as we know it ever becoming a secure kernel.

So now I'm branching into FreeBSD, but still also run Manjaro (Mate) & Windows 10. I'm pretty bullish on formal verification, memory-safe languages, unikernels (on the server), and microkernels; namely seL4, Genode, Rust, Go and Mirage. That being said, of course an OS is only as secure as its supply-chain.

TL;DW:
        Last edited by sindr; 16 October 2021, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X