X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Their visions was wrong, Linux is one system and better than all the BSDs together.
    Every whore would praise her cunt to be the sweetest and tightest..

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    Merged into one? Fat chance. They all had common origin at one point but split up due to one or more devs having vision incompatible with other devs-at-the-time and inherent conflicts lying therein.
    ​​​​​​
    They share code/ideas now-and-then, that's about it..
    Their visions was wrong, Linux is one system and better than all the BSDs together.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    But yeah it would best if all the BSD systems moved to Git, and maybe even that all the BSD systems merged into one.
    Merged into one? Fat chance. They all had common origin at one point but split up due to one or more devs having vision incompatible with other devs-at-the-time and inherent conflicts lying therein.
    ​​​​​​
    They share code/ideas now-and-then, that's about it..

Leave a comment:

• jbranso
    replied

FreeBSD uses Git. NetBSD and OpenBSD still use CVS but they're likely to follow and move to Git too, sooner or later.

Each of their kernels are different and have a long history so they are different from each other. I think also with different focus. NetBSD focuses on portability, OpenBSD focuses on security, and FreeBSD focuses on performance I think maybe.

But yeah it would best if all the BSD systems moved to Git, and maybe even that all the BSD systems merged into one.
    I didn't know FreeBSD uses git now!? Very cool!

I've heard that DragonflyBSD is another really good performance minded BSD. I actually love the fact that NetBSD provides rump kernels. I hope more OSs use their drivers. I know the Hurd hopes to one day. I actually installed OpenBSD on a T400, because from what I've heard it can almost be considered an FSF approved distro. I haven't played with it much. I like Guix System too much.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by jbranso View Post

I think a lot of it has to do with the choice of the *BSDs to use CVS instead of git. If they used git, they could all contribute to the same kernel. That's just my thoughts though.
    FreeBSD uses Git. NetBSD and OpenBSD still use CVS but they're likely to follow and move to Git too, sooner or later.

Each of their kernels are different and have a long history so they are different from each other. I think also with different focus. NetBSD focuses on portability, OpenBSD focuses on security, and FreeBSD focuses on performance I think maybe.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by jbranso View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with the choice of the *BSDs to use CVS instead of git. If they used git, they could all contribute to the same kernel. That's just my thoughts though.
    Great way of showing you don't have a clue in the slightest.

Leave a comment:

• jbranso
    replied

Because they are entirely separate operating systems.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by piorunz View Post
    Why NetBSD and FreeBSD drivers are not cross-compatible? That's multiplying already done work, is it not.
    Because they are entirely separate operating systems.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    It must be a nightmare to sync code from one system to another. I can barely resolve a merge conflict and cant even sync anything from two commits ago.

Leave a comment:

• fedora-user
    replied
    just use FreeBSD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X