Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku R1 Beta 3 Released As Spiritual Successor To BeOS

Phoronix: Haiku R1 Beta 3 Released As Spiritual Successor To BeOS

One year after Haiku R1 Beta 2, the third beta of this inaugural release of the open-source Haiku operating system is now available for testing. Haiku remains the open-source OS project going on two decades for advancing as the spiritual successor to BeOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Had companies invested 10% of what they are investing in Linux, Haiku would have replaced Linux on the desktop a decade ago.

Unlike Linux this OS mimics other established commercial OSes in terms of providing stable interfaces and by doing so it respects people's work.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Had companies invested 10% of what they are investing in Linux, Haiku would have replaced Linux on the desktop a decade ago.

Unlike Linux this OS mimics other established commercial OSes in terms of providing stable interfaces and by doing so it respects people's work.
      Like anybody would touch this insecure boomer OS even in that alternate universe. It doesn't even support Wayland.

I understand missing simpler times but whatever replaces Linux is going to be ten times worse and with even more corporate backing.

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post
        Like anybody would touch this insecure boomer OS even in that alternate universe.
        He's talking about the past. Linux wasn't always so spectacular on desktops either - that's something from recent years. And how do you know Haiku is insecure? Have you audited the source code or something?

It doesn't even support Wayland.
        Neither does Android, Windows, macOS, Redox OS, iOS, AmigaOS, etc. Doesn't make them any less. Stop your Wayland marketing.

I understand missing simpler times but whatever replaces Linux is going to be ten times worse and with even more corporate backing.
        I for one love Haiku! I use Linux, Haiku and AmigaOS 4 and they are all great in their own right, but Haiku and AmigaOS 4 stand out more IMHO, espe when it comes to stability and performance (not that Linux is unstable and slow, but it's… well, I can't explain it - you have to try the others yourself to feel the difference).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          And how do you know Haiku is insecure? Have you audited the source code or something?
          Because they don't have any spectre mitigations. They don't audit their source code. No sandboxing. No user password. Written in an unsafe language, but isn't formerly verified like seL4.

I think the devs also wrote somewhere that security is very far back in their backlog because of their lack of manpower.

As a fun exercise, you might want to try and compile SerenityOS from source. It's blazing fast, has a lot of apps, and takes design cues from the 90s.

As depressing as it is, I don't think Linux is going to leave the desktop anytime soon.

"It looks like Plan 9 failed simply because it fell short of being a compelling enough improvement on Unix to displace its ancestor. Compared to Plan 9, Unix creaks and clanks and has obvious rust spots, but it gets the job done well enough to hold its position. There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good enough."

— Eric S. Raymond
          Last edited by kvuj; 26 July 2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

He's talking about the past. Linux wasn't always so spectacular on desktops either - that's something from recent years. And how do you know Haiku is insecure? Have you audited the source code or something?
            Let's be grateful that we have Linux and accept that it isn't perfect.

No. Not me and not anyone else from what I heard. It barely has a browser so what's even the point, first they need to deliver something to be worth auditing. Like core features any OS should have. I'm only being harsh because of the context of this discussion, it's even dumb to say these things. It's a fine project otherwise.

OS development and research is healthy and very fun but trying to pretend it was just a few millions away from becoming the next big thing is laughable. kvuj left a better reply already although I haven't checked if it's all true.

Neither does Android, Windows, macOS, Redox OS, iOS, AmigaOS, etc. Doesn't make them any less. Stop your Wayland marketing.
            These are all legacy operating systems (no Wayland).

Comment

Building a new desktop OS might have been an exciting project in the 80's. It is just not relevant anymore.
              Even Linux desktop is struggling to gain acceptance and might end of being an OS just for developers. Rest of the world seem pretty happy with Windows and even some developers might choose to stay with Windows and use WSL2. Most people forget that it is the number of applications available for an OS that determines its success.

Comment

Like anybody would touch this insecure boomer OS even in that alternate universe. It doesn't even support Wayland.

Are you serious about using the word boomer to talk about an OS when Linux was first created in 1991? We won't even go into how old GNU is and even the hot AF python language.

We use to tell people to RTFM but now maybe you should GTMF as BeOS came out in October 1995 ... 4 years after.

WE should be applauding folks who put their hardware work and free time into doing something they love and releasing it to the public. After all if it wasn't a matter of choice and preference we wouldn't have so many Linux distros.

Comment

Originally posted by bitterseeds View Post
                  Boomer talk.
                  That can't be true, I don't use anything made before 2015. No but seriously you could just have used your imagination a little to understand what I was trying to say.

Comment

I for one love Haiku! I use Linux, Haiku and AmigaOS 4 and they are all great in their own right, but Haiku and AmigaOS 4 stand out more IMHO, espe when it comes to stability and performance (not that Linux is unstable and slow, but it's… well, I can't explain it - you have to try the others yourself to feel the difference).
                    That would be called the placebo effect. Look... "speed and stability"? what even are you on about? On any useful objective metric, even for desktop usage, Haiku is going to be bottom of the barrel on speed.

Unless this hasn't been updated: https://www.haiku-os.org/community/g...eloping/system Haiku still lacks 3D acceleration, they're tied to GCC2 which is slow compared to modern GCC, and so on. I'm sure that BeOS apps load faster than modern applications because they're tiny programs by modern computing standards but that's like saying that because the C64 can be instantly turned on that an old commodore is faster.

I'm not even going to bother trying to figure out what exactly you mean by "stability" here.

Truth is, and why Haiku gets run after here, is that Haiku has failed to explain what's special about it: what its purpose is besides simply keeping BeOS on lifesupport. All we get from Haiku defenders is hand waving, and when we try it all we find is we've been thrown back into the 90s, and there aren't even any games to keep us here like there would be with AmigaOS because BeOS was always obscure. Certainly we're not going to be doing anything productive on old BeOS software, and anything like libreoffice we can run anywhere else and likely better.

If you can find a way to actually articulate what's supposed to be better, and not some meaningless hand waving your hobby OS might get some respect. until then it's almost a game to see if Haiku people can articulate something... anything... that's factual to support using this OS rather than simple boomer nostalgia.

Comment

Working...
                    X