Haiku Marching Towards R1 Beta 3, RISC-V Bring-Up, Intel Display work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku Marching Towards R1 Beta 3, RISC-V Bring-Up, Intel Display work

Phoronix: Haiku Marching Towards R1 Beta 3, RISC-V Bring-Up, Intel Display work

The Haiku open-source operating system building off the inspiration and work of BeOS is continuing strong over the summer months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A commendable project but lacking in man power it would seem, similar to the smaller *BSD projects. Ivy bridge graphics are old when we are considering Ice Lake is out now and Adler Lake is coming out later this year. This reminds me of how it took NetBSD FOREVER to get USB 3 support years after other OSes had it.

Comment

Nice. I haven't used it in a long time but I enjoy reading about its progress. I think BeOS might have had a chance to succeed if it wasn't for Linux. It had one of the nicest interfaces back in the day and was probably a dream on the right hardware. 20+ years ago when a person was picking not Windows for personal use the pickings were slim and, IMHO, Linux was the best choice if you ignored the UI not being consistent or even very good in some cases...and that's still true 20 years later

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Nice. I haven't used it in a long time but I enjoy reading about its progress. I think BeOS might have had a chance to succeed if it wasn't for Linux. It had one of the nicest interfaces back in the day and was probably a dream on the right hardware. 20+ years ago when a person was picking not Windows for personal use the pickings were slim and, IMHO, Linux was the best choice if you ignored the UI not being consistent or even very good in some cases...and that's still true 20 years later
        You're talking as if Linux has succeeded on the desktop.

Comment

nice to see that they're working on font rendering. Last time I tried HaikuOS it was a bit ugly (and I'm a bit susceptible about font rendering)

Comment

Where are the benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
              Where are the benchmarks?
              If the hardware support is somewhat inconsistent and spotty, then it may not be possible just yet.

Comment

Haiku and ReactOS are in the same category for me, a great project with a wonderful team and community behind them, but, realistically, probably won't ever get anywhere close to a working, functioning production system. Haiku's only marginally more functional than ReactOS but both seem to enjoy kernel panicking when you ask them to do more than run a console hello world app.

Comment

Projects like this are cool and all, but I'm a bit confused by them, specifically what is the motivation behind them? Is it just as a hobby (like Linux was early on), or do the devs and users feel like other platforms are insufficient? Or do they belive their projects have the potential to become viable alternatives down the road (like Linux, but unlike most projects)?

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                    nice to see that they're working on font rendering. Last time I tried HaikuOS it was a bit ugly (and I'm a bit susceptible about font rendering)
                    The Haiku OS
                    Was a bit ugly before
                    Needs some more font work

Comment

Working...
                    X